1. help!

Exclamation Ahhh

ok,

"It is time the french understood what tennis is."

Is this correct?

Please reply just with "correct" or "incorrect". I need to show this to a french girl and she is adamant she is right that it is "understand". But I intended to use "understood" and I stand by it :P Just "correct or incorrect". No hesitation as she will not believe me if u waver lol

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: Ahhh

I'm not a teacher.

I give my voice for your statement.

Yours is correct. (not a teacher)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

It's pretty much correct, though you need to capitalize the word French; also, I consider her variant to be equally correct. She's thinking of "Il est temps que les Franšais comprennent ce que c'est que le tennis." A case of the present subjunctive, which we also allow in English.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by help! View Post
    ok,

"It is time the french understood what tennis is."

Is this correct?

Please reply just with "correct" or "incorrect". I need to show this to a french girl and she is adamant she is right that it is "understand". But I intended to use "understood" and I stand by it :P Just "correct or incorrect". No hesitation as she will not believe me if u waver lol

Thanks
    Both are "correct", and here's why. It's the same argument as simple past ~ subjunctive It's high time we left ~ leave, which means in effect: "The time has come when we should leave"; "The time has come when the French should learn what tennis is."

We use the simple past; e.g., "understand" instead of "understood", "If I was you" instead of "if I were you", because we like to keep things simple. It's more efficient that way, right?

Again, both "understood" and "understand" are correct.

For our readers
    Present and past subjunctive The terms present subjunctive and past subjunctive can be misunderstood, as they describe forms rather than meanings: the past and present subjunctives are so called because they resemble the past and present indicatives, respectively, but the difference between them is a difference in modality, not a temporal one.

For example, in "I asked that it be done yesterday," be done (a present subjunctive) has no present-tense sense; and likewise, in "If that were true, I would know it," were (a past subjunctive) has no past-tense sense.
    To give another example, "It is high time that we bought a new car". Although bought appears to be the past tense of the verb to buy, actually the car has not been purchased yet. Here, the past subjunctive is used to express a wish or a suggestion.

Sources
    http://www.english-test.net/lessons/15/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctive