Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Post Thanks / Like

The effective ways of learing english

dear teachers,

I am looking for a book that can help me to improve my vocabulary. that is actually very weak. Do you know any?
    Is it better to learn english in the active way or maybe learn words by heart?
    I am constantly forgetting about the meaning of words, I had learned before.

What is the most effective way of learning english. What do you think?

Which english distionary is the best?

My best wishes

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The effective ways of learning english

I'm not a teacher. I just want to give my opinion. ^^

Everyone has their own way to learn English as well as any other languages, it depends on your personality to follow a way to learn English effectively.
    It's better to learn English actively. I mean try to use all words you have learned before from anywhere in your life as much as possible. In my point of view, I never try to learn words by heart because I'm really lazy :P and I still forget them easily if I don't use them often.
    About a good dictionary, I myself don't use dictionary too much so I really don't know exactly which one is good. However, I think a good dictionary is one that has clear phonetic symbols after each word which will help you a lot in pronunciation, and along with definitions it should have some examples about how to use those words.

Hope that can help. Bye bye ^^

• Post Thanks / Like

Mr.Vu
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Vu View Post
    Everyone has their own way to learn English as well as any other languages, it depends on your personality to follow a way to learn English effectively.
    It's better to learn English actively. I mean try to use all words you have learned before from anywhere in your life as much as possible. In my point of view, I never try to learn words by heart because I'm really lazy :P and I still forget them easily if I don't use them often.
    so thats normal that we forget them,yes? I was a little worried about that because there was a time that I forgot a lot words I had learned before.

About a good dictionary, I myself don't use dictionary too much so I really don't know exactly which one is good. However, I think a good dictionary is one that has clear phonetic symbols after each word which will help you a lot in pronunciation, and along with definitions it should have some examples about how to use those words.
    Again Is it better to use english-english dictionary or english-native language dictionary? I think that using english-english dictionary is really helpful, but its more slower than standard dictionaries.

How long it takes to improve English to a fluent level? Or pass TOEFL?

Best wishes

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by czildren View Post
    Mr.Vu
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.

so thats normal that we forget them,yes? I was a little worried about that because there was a time that I forgot a lot words I had learned before.

Again Is it better to use english-english dictionary or english-native language dictionary? I think that using english-english dictionary is really helpful, but its more slower than standard dictionaries.

How long it takes to improve English to a fluent level? Or pass TOEFL?

Best wishes
    Using Eng-Eng dictionary is very good, however, sometimes there are some more new words come up when you are looking up a word. In my point of view, you should try to use both Eng-Eng and Eng-your native language dictionary at the beginning.
    "How long does it take you to improve English to fluent level?" => No one can answer this question for you. Because the time to become fluent in English depends on each person. Everyone is different.
    Hope this help.

• Post Thanks / Like

Using Eng-Eng dictionary is very good, however, sometimes there are some more new words come up when you are looking up a word.
    What do you prefer, Mr.Wu? Should I follow those words? You are right, when I look up a word, I find another and another one and sometimes it's very distracting and makes me confused.

but still its the best way of learning english. It helps to start think in English and knows accurate meaning of each word.

Do you have your favourite english books?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

when I look up a word, I find another and another one and sometimes it's very distracting and makes me confused.
    Ahh, but it can also be a very pleasant distraction.

• Post Thanks / Like

What do you prefer, Mr.Wu? Should I follow those words? You are right, when I look up a word, I find another and another one and sometimes it's very distracting and makes me confused.

but still its the best way of learning english. It helps to start think in English and knows accurate meaning of each word.

Do you have your favourite english books?
    First of all, I'm Mr.Vu, not Mr.Wu . I think it's very good if you can follow those new words to find out the meaning of the word you are looking up. The reason I recommended trying to use both dictionaries is that in case you come up with too many new and complicated words which make you really confused, you can use the Eng-Your Native Language dictionary for reference.
    I agree that learning to think in English is the most effective way to help you become fluent in English.
    Honestly, I myself haven't read many of English books so I'm sorry that I don't have any favourite one to suggest . Most of the time, I have learned English from searching on the internet and communicating with people in my life.
    Anyway, as I said before, everyone has a different way to learn English, it depends on their own personalities and situations. And figuring out your own way to learn English effectively is one of the most important things in learning English.
    Good luck. ^^

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: The effective ways of learning english

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Ahh, but it can also be a very pleasant distraction.
    and a nice way of learning new vocabulary.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The effective ways of learing english

Reading your posts it seems to me that the vocabulary you've got should be quite enough to use the English-English dictonary or other reference books written in English. I agree with you that using them is the more effective way of learning English.
    I'm using the Longman's dictonary (Pocket Activator) and I find it very helpful (actually it is not the dictonary we got accostumed to). Also I've got the Phrasal verbs dictonary (have not begun yet) and the common dictonary.
    And I agree with Mr. Vu that the new words should be used as often as possible.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The effective ways of learing english

Hi guys
    thanx for sharing your thoughts.
    I am still doing mistakes while speaking or writing and that bothers me.
    What do you think of thematic dictionaries(English- my native language), where words are group by certain subjects? Does reading it can help? I cannot find motivation to do this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast