1. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first using the word in brackets. Don’t change this word. Write between two and five words.
1. It’s not possible that you are right. (be)
2. Maybe we wont need and umbrella today. (might)
We________might not need_________an umbrella today.
3. it’s possible that Annie tried to phone but I’m not sure. (may)
Annie _________may have tried to phone______ but I’m not sure.
4. I’m sure you were delighted when you heard the news. (have)
You _________had to be delighted__________ when you heard the news. You must have been delighted when you heard the news.
5.it would have been a good idea to tell me you’d changed your mind. (told)
You___________should have told___________you’d changed your mind. You should have told me you'd changed your mind.
6. it was a mistake to drink so mucn last night. (have)
I ___________shouldn’t have to drink_________so much last night. I shouldn't have drunk so much last night.
7. it was a mistake not to bring sandwiches because I’m starving now. (have)
I________should have brough’t_sandwiches_____because I’m starving now. I should have brought sandwiches, because I'm starving now.
8. it wasn’t necessary to make so much food but I did. (made)
I _________needn’t have made_________ so much food.
9. I’m almost certain it wasn’t Jim. (have)
It __________could not have been_______Jim.
10. I’m not sure but I think the weather will change in the next few days. (may)
The weather_______may change_________in the next few days.
11.I’m pretty sure that she’s driving home – her car isn’t here. (be)
She ________can’t be__________ home – her car isn’t here. She must be driving home - her car isn't here.
12.i don’t know – maybe George didn’t phone earlier. (have)
George_______might not have phoned__________earlier.
13. you look tired and red in the face so I assume you’ve been running. (must)
You look tired and red in the face so you_______must have been running____.
14.I’m sure he isn’t English because he has a slight foreign accent. (be)
He_________can’t be English_______because he has a slight foreign accent.
15. it’s possible that Susan is lying. (be)
Susan______might be lying________.
16. he probably isn’t at home now. (be)
He______might not be_______at home now.
Student or Learner