• Post Thanks / Like

The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe

I‘m trying to translate " The Cask of Amontillado " by " Edgar Allan Poe " into Arabic, But I faced hard sentences, So, Could you help me, please?

The first pargraph in the story:

The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that I gave utterance to a threat. At length I would be avenged; this was a point definitely, settled --but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved precluded the idea of risk. I must not only punish but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong.

From "At length " I can‘t understand what he is saying!

Could you explain me, please?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe

"At length" means after some time has passed, eventually. The speaker wants revenge. He has decided this with certainty. But the determination of his decision means he cannot allow any risk in getting his revenge. When he gets his revenge by punishing the man who offended him, he must do so in a way that protects himself from any further retaliation, punishment or harm. If person A hurts person B to punish him for doing something wrong, and person B can hurt or punish person A afterward, then the wrong thing that B did first has not been corrected/fixed/punished. If person A punishes person B for doing something wrong and person B does not notice that he has been punished, then the revenge is also a failure.

We learn by this that B has offended A, and A wants revenge, but he may be willing to wait. A not only wants revenge, but he wants his revenge to be done in a way that protects himself from harm and doesn't give B the opportunity to retaliate (or get further revenge on A). A also wants his revenge to be something strong enough that B will be really hurt and understand that A is punishing him for what he did.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe

Excellent explanation for AliSaeed.

This wiki article:, provides some analysis and background that may be of interest to you. Section 4 Inspiration of that article repeats the legend that Poe's inspiration for the tale may have come from a supposedly true story he heard while in the US army stationed at Castle Island, Boston, Massachusetts -- which, being a Bostonian, has always piqued my interest in this decidely macabre tale.

Some other links you might find useful:

SparkNotes: Poe?s Short Stories: “The Cask of Amontillado” (1846)

"The Cask of Amontillado" Poe - Google Search

- Best of luck with your translation!