Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #1

    legend

    what is the difference between legend and myth?


    myth/legend's vocation or occupation or job or what as I want to say "piracy is legends' vocation"?

  2. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #2

    Re: legend

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    what is the difference between legend and myth?


    myth/legend's vocation or occupation or job or what as I want to say "piracy is legends' vocation"?
    Hi sash2008,

    Though the words legend and myth do share some common ground, they are not truly synonyms. Please see the previous links for each word -- entries taken from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (Fourth Edition) -- for difference in nuance.

    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the phrase "piracy is legends' vocation," i.e., How can legends have a vocation? And how does piracy relate to this? Can you please describe in more detail what you mean?

  3. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #3

    Re: legend

    Quote Originally Posted by Monticello View Post
    Hi sash2008,

    Though the words legend and myth do share some common ground, they are not truly synonyms. Please see the previous links for each word -- entries taken from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (Fourth Edition) -- for difference in nuance.

    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the phrase "piracy is legends' vocation," i.e., How can legends have a vocation? And how does piracy relate to this? Can you please describe in more detail what you mean?
    Thank you
    but I do not know how to clarify what I want. Do you understand or know Arabic language?

  4. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #4

    Re: legend

    I'm sorry sash2008. Unfortunately, I don't know any Arabic.

    How about: The "vocation" of piracy is steeped in legends?

  5. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #5

    Re: legend

    Quote Originally Posted by Monticello View Post
    I'm sorry sash2008. Unfortunately, I don't know any Arabic.

    How about: The "vocation" of piracy is steeped in legends?
    Ok Mr Monticello,
    No problem
    It is an Arabic text to be translated into English.
    It means that this job of piracy is famous and known to be the job of legends.
    So, I don't know which word I should use job, vocation, occupation or what?
    Last edited by sash2008; 03-Jun-2009 at 02:58.

  6. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #6

    Re: legend

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    Ok Mr Monticello,
    No problem
    It is an Arabic text to be translated into English.
    It means that this job of piracy is famous and known to be the job of piracy.
    So, I don't know which word I should use job, vocation, occupation or what?
    Piracy is not really a "job," in the sense of "a legitimate source of livelihood." And in the same sense, occupation, also suggests legitimacy.

    But the word, vocation, though on the surface synoymous with job and occupation, is literally a calling (usually in the religious sense). Thus the word, vocation, seems better suited to what you mean. In my previous post, I placed the word in quotes as a means of acknowledging its illegitimacy:

    The "vocation" of piracy is steeped in legends.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] bit of a legend, shotgun
    By dilermando in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2008, 21:18
  2. suggest
    By azkad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2008, 21:34
  3. NBA Legend with a Good Heart
    By bilsonx in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2008, 15:09
  4. correct constructions 28/10 ?
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2007, 19:41
  5. Legend of a hero of eagle-shooting
    By NewHope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2004, 10:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •