Language

Hi,
    I am having a lot of problems in Language. I have problems in usage,sentence formation,paragraph developmet,Capitalization, punctuation,writing conventins. What can I do to improve these skills and do you have any sugestions for me to go on line for other free help? I am taking a class but it has been a year and I still feel lost. Please help if you can I would be thankful for any help at this point.

Thanks,
    Brenda

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: Language

My suggestions:

1. Start reading novels and watching movies.
    2. Make new friends, people who speak English, natives and non-natives.
    3. Use the language as much as you can.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    My suggestions:

1. Start reading novels and watching movies.
    2. Make new friends, people who speak English, natives and non-natives.
    3. Use the language as much as you can.
    These are good for you.
    Most of my English come from MTV, english-using forum and making friends with people who can speak english better than me.
    Stay here at this forum for years and have at least 5 posts per day, who knows ?

How To Improve Your English

How To Improve Your English
    Learning English (or any language for that matter) is a process. You are continually improving your English and the following "How to" describes a strategy to make sure that you continue to improve effectively.

Here's How:
    1. Remember that learning a language is a gradual process - it does not happen overnight.
    2. Define your learning objectives early: What do you want to learn and why?
    3. Make learning a habit. Try to learn something every day. It is much better to study (or read, or listen to English news, etc.) 10 minutes each day than to study for 2 hours once a week.
    4. Remember to make learning a habit! If you study each day for 10 minutes English will be constantly in your head. If you study once a week, English will not be as present in your mind.
    5. Choose your materials well. You will need reading, grammar, writing, speaking and listening materials
    6. Vary your learning routine. It is best to do different things each day to help keep the various relationships between each area active. In other words, don't just study grammar.
    7. Find friends to study and speak with. Learning English together can be very encouraging.
    8. Choose listening and reading materials that relate to what you are interested in. Being interested in the subject will make learning more enjoyable - thus more effective.
    9. Relate grammar to practical usage. Grammar by itself does not help you USE the language. You should practice what you are learning by employing it actively.
    10. Move your mouth! Understanding something doesn't mean the muscles of your mouth can produce the sounds. Practice speaking what you are learning aloud. It may seem strange, but it is very effective.
    11. Be patient with yourself. Remember learning is a process - speaking a language well takes time. It is not a computer that is either on or off!
    12. Communicate! There is nothing like communicating in English and being successful. Grammar exercises are good - having your friend on the other side of the world understand your email is fantastic!
    13. Use the Internet. The Internet is the most exciting, unlimited English resource that anyone could imagine and it is right at your finger tips.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda65 View Post
    Hi,
    I am having a lot of problems in Language. I have problems in usage,sentence formation,paragraph developmet,Capitalization, punctuation,writing conventins. What can I do to improve these skills and do you have any sugestions for me to go on line for other free help? I am taking a class but it has been a year and I still feel lost. Please help if you can I would be thankful for any help at this point.

Thanks,
    Brenda
    You give your first language as English. Was that a mistake?
    What sort of class are you taking? What do your teachers identify as your underlying problems? Have you been assessed for specific learning disorders?
    Your post raises more questions than answers.