"who fancied I had done him a good turn"

I‘m trying to read " An Egyptian Cigarette " by " Kate Chopin ", But I faced hard sentence, So, Could you help me, please?

MY friend, the Architect, who is something of a traveller, was showing us various curios which he had gathered during a visit to the Orient.
    "Here is something for you," he said, picking up a small box and turning it over in his hand. "You are a cigarette-smoker; take this home with you. It was given to me in Cairo by a species of fakir, who fancied I had done him a good turn."

a secies of fakir = one fakir?

and I can‘t understand this sentence "who fancied I had done him a good turn"

Thank you :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: "who fancied I had done him a good turn"

Hi,

I think 'species of fakir' has some French influence, 'espèce de' meaning 'a sort of'.

So 'species of fakir' meaning 'a sort of fakir'. He appeared to be a fakir, maybe he was, maybe he was not.

'Fancied in this context means 'thought'.

Hope this helps.

Frank

In English, species are different categories or types of animals, but the definition does extend to a kind, variety or type of something. If that's the case, "a sort of fakir" or "a type of fakir" would be an appropriate interpreation, which to me that means one type (subcategory) of fakir as opposed to another type of fakir. That's a bit different from Frank's interpretation, and perhaps he is more familiar with this particular author than I.

Species
    1. Biology a. A fundamental category of taxonomic classification, ranking below a genus or subgenus and consisting of related organisms capable of interbreeding. See table at taxonomy. b. An organism belonging to such a category, represented in binomial nomenclature by an uncapitalized Latin adjective or noun following a capitalized genus name, as in Ananas comosus, the pineapple, and Equus caballus, the horse. 2. Logic A class of individuals or objects grouped by virtue of their common attributes and assigned a common name; a division subordinate to a genus. 3a. A kind, variety, or type: “No species of performing artist is as self-critical as a dancer” (Susan Sontag). b. The human race; humankind. 4. Roman Catholic Church a. The outward appearance or form of the Eucharistic elements that is retained after their consecration. b. Either of the consecrated elements of the Eucharist. 5. Obsolete a. An outward form or appearance. b. Specie.
    'Fancied' in this context means 'thought'.
    Or 'imagined'. It's a very whimsical sort of thought.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • France

Hi,

Kate Chopin's mother and grandmother were both from French families.

I think this is why this phrase is used, it would be rare for an English person to say 'species of fakir'. Whereas a French speaker would often use the phrase
    'espèce de --------'. Often this would be slightly impolite and used in a derogatory fashion.

Yes, imagined or possibly 'had the impression that'.

Frank