Time

Would someone please help me out. What is acceptable 12.00 am means at midnight or at noon?

Re: Time

12 a.m. is midnight. 12 p.m. is noon.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Smriti Thapa View Post
    Would someone please help me out. What is acceptable 12.00 am means at midnight or at noon?
    Strictly speaking, 12.00 is neither AM nor PM, it is either 12 midnight or 12 noon (midday).

This is correct. A lot of people get confused about which is which, so we use noon and midnight to be clear. I try to go by AP style rules (for writing) when it comes to things like this, and they say: "Use noon or midnight for 12:00, but only use the word, not the redundant 12 noon or 12 midnight." (Read more: AP Style Cheat Sheet: Basic Rules of Associated Press Style to Keep Beside Your Computer | Suite101.com or ASSOCIATED PRESS STYLE) However, if it is even one minute past, it would be 12:01 a.m./p.m. (one minute past midnight/noon).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Smriti Thapa View Post
    Midnight is 12:00 a. m. and noon is 12:00 p.m. This is very easy if you think about it logically.

The key thing to remember is that the changes between a. m. and p.m., and vice versa, occur at exactly 12 noon and at exactly 12 midnight.
    Since you know that 11:59 in the late morning is 11:59 a. m., there can be no doubt that 12 noon can only be 12 p.m.

Another way of knowing that 12 noon can not be 12 a.m. is that you can not go from 12 a. m. to 12:01 p.m. in one minute.

So "a.m." is the twelve-hour period that begins at exactly 12 midnight, and "p.m." is the twelve-hour period that begins at exactly 12 noon. There is no time that is not either a. m. or p. m.

Thankyou very much for the sharp logical answer, I will never be confused again. It is crystal clear.