1. unregistered

Smile gross up

Hi, could you please help me with the meening of 'gross up'? Can I use it while saying e.g. 'The goal for this month will gross up by 30 seconds'?
    Thank you for your help!!!

Re: gross up

I'm afraid I can't even guess what "gross up" means.

The verb "gross" means:
    verb[vn] to earn a particular amount of money before tax has been taken off it: It is one of the biggest grossing movies of all time. The concert grossed a massive 2 million at the box office.
    gross sb out (NAmE, informal) to be very unpleasant and make sb feel disgusted disgust: His bad breath really grossed me out.

Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    Hi, could you please help me with the meening of 'gross up'? Can I use it while saying e.g. 'The goal for this month will gross up by 30 seconds'?
    Thank you for your help!!!
    It is a term used in business, relating to finance:

To pay the full amount of something without any deductions; an employee can receive their salary grossed up, the full salary promised to them, without deductions for tax. However, since legally a salary must be taxed,would gross up the employee's salary so that after ta\x has been taken, they still receive the full salary promised.

Definitely would be meaningless in the sentence you suggest.

OK, thank you very much for your help. I found the phrase in dictionary on a website. I already found out couple times that some translation are not right there. Well, I believe that it is quite challenging to translate a word only one way when it can be sometimes used in completely different context.
    I already replaced the "gross up" by "will be raised" so hopefully my sentence made sence to the recipient.