without (not)

Asked on a Buddhist forum:

So there are moments where I make new karma and during all the other moments I experience the effect of karma, i.e., there is no moment without one of these occuring?

If, in place of the phrase in bold above, I say "there is no moment without one of these not occuring.", would it mean the same?

What the writer means to ask is that in all moments either new karma is made or result of karma is experienced. The thing is, to me, the first phrase without "not" and the second phrase with "not" mean the sime.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: without (not)

Quote Originally Posted by stefan_kar View Post
    Asked on a Buddhist forum:

So there are moments where I make new karma and during all the other moments I experience the effect of karma, i.e., there is no moment without one of these occuring?

If, in place of the phrase in bold above, I say "there is no moment without one of these not occuring.", would it mean the same?

What the writer means to ask is that in all moments either new karma is made or result of karma is experienced. The thing is, to me, the first phrase without "not" and the second phrase with "not" mean the sime.
    No it wouldn't mean the same. Your sentence is quiet awkward, and it's unlikely that anyone would express it that way.
    However, you are saying that both cannot occur simultaneously, whereas the original does not claim this.
    The original says "A or B". You are saying "not A or not B".
    "A or B" does not preclude "A and B", since the "or" is not exclusive in the original sentence. Nor is "or" exclusive in your sentence, so "not A and not B" is possible, and this is a direct contradiction of "A or B".