1. Unregistered

Question MaJulie

I am trying to find out the proper way of speaking the year, beginning with 2010. I have found sites that give numerous opinions, but I am interested in a definitive, grammatically correct answer. It is my understanding that through 2009 it should be "two-thousand-(whatever)," but after that we should say "twenty-(whatever)." It therefore drives me crazy to hear "two-thousand-ten" or, even worse, "oh-ten." Help!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: MaJulie

I don't think there is such a think as a "definitive, grammatically correct answer" to your question.

I've heard this year said as "twenty-oh-nine" (and a few times "twenty-aught-nine"), even though "two thousand and nine" is far, far more common.

If I had 2010 marbles, you would say I had two thousand [and] ten of them so why would it bother you that someone might call the year "two thousand ten"?

Was the year 412 "four-twelve" or "four hundred twelve"? We would refer to the early four-hundreds, not the early fours.

I expect I'll say "twenty-ten" myself, but I won't tell anyone that he or she is grammatically incorrect by saying "two thousand and ten."

(Of course, "oh-ten" is wrong, but that's probably said only in error after having said "oh-nine" or something similar right before it.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: MaJulie

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Was the year 412 "four-twelve" or "four hundred twelve"?
    "four hundred twelve" is a distinct Americanism. You haven't given the most likely phrase "four hundred and twelve" which is used, I believe, everywhere else. Of course, I don't pretend to know what they called it in 412 - probably something Latin.

To the original question: Australian usage is tending towards "twenty ten", though "two thousand and ten" is also common.