• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Pidgin and Creole

Pidgins and Creoles have been said to have "the grammar of one language and the vocabulary of another". In what sense is such a statement true, false or a bit of both?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Pidgin and Creole

Quote Originally Posted by chuotyeumeo367 View Post
    Pidgins and Creoles have been said to have "the grammar of one language and the vocabulary of another". In what sense is such a statement true, false or a bit of both?
    What's your opinion? I'd be happy to discuss this with you, but I'd like to know your ideas.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

In the previous class about Sociolinguistics, my teacher after taught about Pidgins and Creoles, she gave us 1 statement (which I mentioned above). I don't quite understand her statement. I just know that: pidgins are simplified vocabulary and structure. Creoles are more complicated structure and more vocabularies.

The teacher asked us to state that whether her statement is true or false or both, and in what senses?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by chuotyeumeo367 View Post
    In the previous class about Sociolinguistics, my teacher after taught about Pidgins and Creoles, she gave us 1 statement (which I mentioned above). I don't quite understand her statement. I just know that: pidgins are simplified vocabulary and structure. Creoles are more complicated structure and more vocabularies.

The teacher asked us to state that whether her statement is true or false or both, and in what senses?
    When you've done a bit of research, maybe in Wikipedia or by Googling Pidgins and Creoles, you'll be able to read a bit more about them. Once you've done that, you'll be in a better position to give an opinion. I'm not going to write an answer simply for you to copy. (I've done that in the code-switching/ language shift question). You need to put some effort into your work first. I'll be happy to discuss your opinion when you develop one.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Thanks for your support but I don't copy anything you answer. I just read your explanation for understanding and do research by myself. Now I am finding some materials for answering this statement. I'll be very happy if you can co-operate with me for this topic. I will post the answer after my discovery.

Hi,

"the grammar of one language and the vocabulary of another".
    I believe that pdgin is not a grammar of one language but it is a vocabulary of another. In other words, those, who speack pidgin, use some words from the other language, and adapt them into very simple grammar. This grammar is not necessary their mother tongue language's grammar. It is a simplified grammar.