English as a common language

I wonder how, let's say, Chinese and Japanese people communicate with each other. I would imagine they would communicate in English. Funny, isn't it? Eastern people using a western 'means' of communication.

Same here, a bit closer to home, Bulgarians and Serbs, for example, their languages being closely related and somehow mutually intelligible, would still have to use English to understand each other better.

That's why English is the most 'successful' language!

2. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: English as a common language

Quote Originally Posted by stefan_kar View Post

Same here, a bit closer to home, Bulgarians and Serbs, for example, their languages being closely related and somehow mutually intelligible, would still have to use English to understand each other better.

As far as I can see, here in Canada, a so-called bilingual country, misunderstanding comes from not understanding the subtleties of the other language. Journalists/editorial writers/readers on the radio/television and in the press bring out and decry an idea/sentence/remark/word/intention stated by the other "community linguistic" that they had misinterpreted.

English is useful and essential to communicate the basic needs of daily life everywhere in the world. It's essential in the workplaces when talking/writing about something you know far and wide and between those who possess the same knowledge as you do for they can read between the lines.

In my mind, to communicate in another language does not only mean to switch from one language to another, this also implies to wear the shoes of another. Generously opening our mind to another culture is the whole point of the thing.

What say you?
    Last edited by Hortence; 09-Jun-2009 at 19:19.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: English as a common language

Quote Originally Posted by stefan_kar View Post
    I do believe that your statement is undeniably true. Yes, indeed English is the most 'successful' language on earth probably. But as what as I heard, Chinese (the language) has the biggest amount of speakers in the world. If I am not mistaken, I'd heard this so many times. Perhaps someone can confirm this for me... ^^

In my view, perhaps because of the use of internet and computer, English has been the most successful language of the world nowadays. Thanks to that...

I know it's hard to switch languages, I always face the problem since I speak 4 languages. Sometimes I am getting muddle up myself. So I know exactly, how messy language distraction can possibly be.. ^^