• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question you're being a bit previous=?

Good morning, I'm Evan Montague. My guest in the studio today is the East End businessman Reginald Kray, who has just been convicted of murder at the Old Bailey.
    If I could just stop you there, Evan, you're being a bit previous.
    A Kray Twins exclusive! 'We acted at all times within the rules' | Mail Online

Hello! Could you tell me what 'you're being a bit previous' means? Thank you!

Re: you're being a bit previous=?

Good morning, I'm Evan Montague. My guest in the studio today is the East End businessman Reginald Kray, who has just been convicted of murder at the Old Bailey.

If I could just stop you there, Evan, you're being a bit previous.

But you and your brother were both found guilty by a jury.

Look, our old mum brought us up with a firm sense of right and wrong, to tell the truth at all times - except to the Old Bill, obviously.

It was a right fit-up. Frankly, I'm disgusted at what I heard in that court. My conscience is clear.

He has misused the word 'previous'. The interviewer guesses that he really means 'presumptuous' = going beyond the limits of what is permitted or appropriate. That is, he has just said that Kray was 'convicted' and Kray objects to that. (Perhaps Kray is thinking about an appeal and the outcome of that.)

The interviewer points out that he and his brother were, in fact, convicted by a jury.
    Kray then comes back with another mangled thought process: "...to tell the truth at all times - except to the Old Bill, obviously."
    as is, the sentence says: we always tell the truth, but we didn't/we never do to the police. Logically, then, when the police accused him, then he lied to the police. It is impossible for an innocent man to protest his innocence if he is lying - so what he says must point towards guilt!

Understand that when psychopaths talk, they don't operate from a touchstone of conveying fact or real meaning, but of what is convenient for their scheming purposes. Add to that an insalubrious background and poor education, and they don't have the vocabulary for more than a facile pretense.

2 in every 100 people are estimated to be psychopathic. Some are your thug types, others are white-collar...and all the way in between.
    Last edited by David L.; 07-Jun-2009 at 05:02.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: you're being a bit previous=?

Hello David L.,

Thank you very much to take time to read the article and answer my question.

Have a good day there!