• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

caked/ coated/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your opinion concerning the following sentences?

1.One garden had a basketball ring, and another had fine lawn chairs surrounding a ceramic table. The white chairs were caked in dirt, as if they had not used for some months or even years.

2.The table-top was coated with lavender magnolia petals, beaten down by the rain.

3.Roger can’t make up his mind whether to go college or get a job. You can’t eat your cake and have it too.

4.You can either spend your money going to Europe or save it for a down payment of a house, but you can’t do both.

5.Clothed blood that caked within two to six days.

6.Dirt had coated her face.

7.Dirt had caked her face.

8.It was a newish two-story house, yet its wooden storm shutters showed signs of severe aging, and the railings outside the second-storey windows were caked with rust.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 10-Jun-2009 at 06:54.

Re: caked/ coated/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your opinion concerning the following sentences?

1.One garden had a basketball ring, and another had fine lawn chairs surrounding a ceramic table. The white chairs were caked in dirt, as if they had not used for some months or even years.

2.The table-top was coated with lavender magnolia petals, beaten down by the rain.

3.Roger canít make up his mind whether to go college or get a job. You canít eat your cake and have it too.

4.You can either spend your money going to Europe or save it for a down payment of a house, but you canít do both.

5.Clothed blood that caked within two to six days.

6.Dirt had coated her face.

7.Dirt had caked her face.

8.It was a newish two-story house, yet its wooden storm shutters showed signs of severe aging, and the railings outside the second-story windows were caked with rust.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    1. If lawn chairs are not used for some months or years, they will not naturally become 'caked in dirt'. Something more severe must happen to them first. 'Caked' here implies thickness, ie, there was a lot of dirt. Maybe 'covered' is better.

2. Covered / Strewn ?

3. Roger is in two minds. Whether he can have his cake and eat it too is not relevant or appropriate here.

4. This is a more appropriate place for the idiom.

5. Clothed blood ? Clotted perhaps. I'm pretty sure that blood does not take 6 days to harden.

6 and 7. .....are correct but not pretty. 'Cake' is thicker than 'coat' but both imply she was immobile during the act. This is why it is not pretty. 'Coated' is the better of the two but 'Dirt covered her face' or 'her face was covered in dirt' are simpler...........

8. sounds perfect to me but 'story' should be 'storey'.

I hope this helps.