Teaching language to a Chinese person

I am not a teacher, but I have been asked on line (MSM) to teach a Chinese lady to speak English, the purpose being, to live together in Australia. We are able to communicate in very limited and broken English (she uses a dictionary, & is studying 'Two Way Communication'? by a Chinese author). I propose going to China for a short visit, then she could visit Australia for a couple of months to see how we go communicating.

Would it be better for her to have English language classes in China (given by Chinese), or come here and I teach what I can? If she comes here, how should I go about it? My own thinking is to forget Chinese and start afresh like we did as children, learn the alphabet, the sound represented by letters, put them together to form words etc. IMO gramma is not important in the short term, pronounciation & what words mean or represent is. What is the possibilty of forming successful intimate communication & how soon? BTW we are seniors.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: Teaching language to a Chinese person

This method you just described worked for me.
    My English is still broken but it's not that bad.

Ps I am not sure the lady will understand this language... IMO, BTW, OMG...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

In the early stages, it might be more productive to concentrate on speaking and leave the alphabet and writing for later as it is communication between the two of you that matters most. While in the longer-term the ability to read and write may matter for life in Australia, focusing simply on speech can remove quite a considerable load. I am living in Cambodia but illiterate in Khmer -I use the Roman alphabet to record things I have learned- which I decided was more practical as I will be leaving here and it may be the same for her, at least in the early stages.

Hi Tdol. Yes agreed, but how does one know what the other is speaking 'about'? It seemed to me basic everyday 'items' should be identified with the spoken word. How? I can touch / point to 'door' 'window' 'table' etc as I say each word for her to repeat, but that is only possible with things close at hand.

If there was a publication containing many objects with their written name beside, it would seem productive to spell the word, then pronounce it. Such a vocabulory thus learned could have verbs introduced to make short meaningful sentences.

Is there such material available? Would it be productive?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

There are a few picture dictionary links here: Dictionaries Thesauri and Reference - ESL Web Directory - UsingEnglish.com
    And bilingual dictionaries will help where pictures are hard.

Tks Tdol. OMG sorting out what is available is ...difficult. I am leaning heavily to interactive software. Not so much there but still tedious sorting.

Comments from anyone who has used interactive SW would be helpful.