• Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

a suitable word

help me to check
    a suitable word
    I left school when I was twelve years old and I had to go into service. I went to a young couple ...who....... were farmers, and I had to live ...there........ . It was about fifteen miles ..from........ home. I was ......paid.... one pound and a half a week. They weren’t bad to me, but they ....had...... to go out a lot and I ....should...... be in the place on my ...own......... I helped the mistress ...to....... butter, and sometimes I used to milk the ....cows...... as well. I got so lonely, so five months later, I left the farmers and went to a butcher’s wife near Wellington. ...There....... was another maid there, and fortunately we got on well ...terms......... We .....would..... laugh and cover up for each ..other........ if we did anything wrong. We slept in an attic, and we had to be ......awake.... at six o’clock in the morning. If we were a minute ...or....... two late, she would be there and ...ask....... to know why. I assumed she laid awake all ....for...... long, just for the pleasure of catching us out in the morning. I had fifteen places in twelve years, and only at ....none...... of them was I treated like a human being. They didn’t think of us ....as..... people like themselves. Occasionally my father and brother used to come and ...visited....... me, and I felt really unhappy when they left. I wanted to say, “Take me with you”, but of course they couldn’t. You had to work; your parents couldn’t afford to keep you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: a suitable word

Quote Originally Posted by san2612 View Post
    help me to check
    a suitable word
    I left school when I was twelve years old and I had to go into service. I went to a young couple ...who....... were farmers, and I had to live ...there........ . It was about fifteen miles ..from........ home. I was ......paid.... one pound and a half a week. They weren’t bad to me, but they ....had...... to go out a lot and I ....would...... be in the place on my ...own......... I helped the mistress ..make...... butter, and sometimes I used to milk the ....cows...... as well. I got so lonely, so five months later, I left the farmers and went to a butcher’s wife near Wellington. ...There....... was another maid there, and fortunately we got on well ...together......... We .....would..... laugh and cover up for each ..other........ if we did anything wrong. We slept in an attic, and we had to be ......awake.... at six o’clock in the morning. If we were a minute ...or....... two late, she would be there and ..want..... to know why. I assumed she laid awake all ...night..... long, just for the pleasure of catching us out in the morning. I had fifteen places in twelve years, and only at ...one..... of them was I treated like a human being. They didn’t think of us ....as..... people like themselves. Occasionally my father and brother used to come and ..visit..... me, and I felt really unhappy when they left. I wanted to say, “Take me with you”, but of course they couldn’t. You had to work; your parents couldn’t afford to keep you.
    Bhai.