Use of the term "Start" as an expression used in sports

I am grading a narrative essay written by a freshman composition student. He uses the expression "start" at football to refer to being one of the starting line up for the game. He speaks of his frustration when the coach did not allow him to "start." Is this expression considered an idiom since most people understand the meaning of the terminology or is it slang? Is the term "start" acceptable in this forum?

An example sentence from his paper is: "After I was injured, the coach never again allowed me to start."

Re: Use of the term "Start" as an expression used in sports

Yes, it's a natural English phrase ' to get started . To start means to begin.

"After I was injured, the coach never again allowed me to start.(begin to play again)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Use of the term "Start" as an expression used in sports

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie_805 View Post
    I am grading a narrative essay written by a freshman composition student. He uses the expression "start" at football to refer to being one of the starting line up for the game. He speaks of his frustration when the coach did not allow him to "start." Is this expression considered an idiom since most people understand the meaning of the terminology or is it slang? Is the term "start" acceptable in this forum?

An example sentence from his paper is: "After I was injured, the coach never again allowed me to start."
    Very normal.

You talk about who is starting, who are the starters, and ask the couch who he plans to start. The best players are the one a coach starts, so someone would feel bad if in the past he was a starter, and then he was injured, and the coach never started him again. It means he's no longer considered one of the best.

{not a teacher, but a sports fan}