Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. mara_ce's Avatar
    VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 6,067


    I'd like to know if there is a specific word for a girl/boy that is a friend but not a girlfriend or boyfriend.
    I found an e.g. in the dictionary: "She went out with one of her girlfriends." Apparently, it is used in American English. What happens in British?

    Thanks for your help.

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 394

    Re: girlfriend/boyfriend

    Two common phrases that are used in the U.S. (not sure about the U.K.) are male friends and female friends. These phrases make the absence of a romantic relationship quite clear, and could be used by a member of either sex in reference to a member of either the same or opposite sex if such emphasis is needed or desired. There are also other more informal terms, such as buddies or pals (usually for males), gal pals (women), etc.

    Last edited by dragn; 14-Jun-2009 at 04:43.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts