adapt and adjust

Hi guys,
    What is the difference between adapt and adjust?

Re: adapt and adjust

adapt verb
    1 [vn] ~ sth (for sth) to change sth in order to make it suitable for a new use or situation modify: Most of these tools have been specially adapted for use by disabled people. These styles can be adapted to suit individual tastes.
    2 ~ (yourself) (to sth) to change your behaviour in order to deal more successfully with a new situation adjust: [v] We have had to adapt quickly to the new system. A large organization can be slow to adapt to change. The organisms were forced to adapt in order to survive. It’s amazing how soon you adapt. [vn] It took him a while to adapt himself to his new surroundings.
    3 [vn] ~ sth (for sth) (from sth) to change a book or play so that it can be made into a play, film/movie, television programme, etc.: Three of her novels have been adapted for television.

------------------------

We have had to adapt quickly to the new system.
    Can I use "adjust" in place of "adapt"?

A large organization can be slow to adapt to change.

The organisms were forced to adapt in order to survive.

It’s amazing how soon you adapt.

It took him a while to adapt himself to his new surroundings.
    Last edited by Daruma; 14-Jun-2009 at 16:21.

adjust verb
    1 [vn]
    ~ sth (to sth) to change sth slightly to make it more suitable for a new set of conditions or to make it work better: Watch out for sharp bends and adjust your speed accordingly. This button is for adjusting the volume. Adjust your language to the age of your audience. The brakes need to be adjusted.
    ~ (to sth / to doing sth)| ~ (yourself to sth) to get used to a new situation by changing the way you behave and/or think adapt: [v] It took her a while to adjust to living alone. It can be difficult to adjust to being a parent. After a while his eyes adjusted to the dark. They’ll be fine—they just need time to adjust. [vn] You’ll quickly adjust yourself to student life. My eyes were still trying to adjust themselves to the strong sunlight.
    3 [vn] to move sth slightly so that it looks neater or feels more comfortable: He smoothed his hair and adjusted his tie.—see also
    well adjusted

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by czildren View Post
    Hi guys,
    What is the difference between adapt and adjust?
    "Adapt" generally implies a change over a period of time, whereas an 'adjustment' can be instantaneous.
    You can adjust your underwear quite easily; you can't readily adapt it.
    You can adjust a time schedule by making a few changes, but that's not an adaptation.
    When it's used to mean that a person needs to habituate themselves to new circumstances, either term will do.