Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,333
    #1

    adjective for 'joke'

    Is 'jovial' the adjective of 'joke'? All along I thought it was until a friend of mine told me it wasn't.

    Is he correct? If he is, what is the adjective for 'joke'? (My friend does not know what it should be.)

    Many thanks.

  1. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #2

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    It pretty much is, although joke is an English word and Jove is a Roman god. You can use jovial or joking as adjectives for humorous etc.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,333
    #3

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    It pretty much is, although joke is an English word and Jove is a Roman god. You can use jovial or joking as adjectives for humorous etc.
    Thanks, Konungursvia.

    Just to make sure that I get it right, can I conclude that my friend is wrong and that 'jovial' is indeed the adjective of 'joke'?

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Thanks, Konungursvia.

    Just to make sure that I get it right, can I conclude that my friend is wrong and that 'jovial' is indeed the adjective of 'joke'?
    'Jovial' is usually applied to the person who makes the joke, or perhaps to the context/atmosphere. I don't think I've heard it used to describe a joke itself.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,333
    #5

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    'Jovial' is usually applied to the person who makes the joke, or perhaps to the context/atmosphere. I don't think I've heard it used to describe a joke itself.

    b
    Thanks, Bob.

    If a person likes to joke, can I describe him as jovial?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,032
    #6

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    A jovial person does not necessarily have to "joke" he/she can just be a happy-go-lucky peroson who doesn't take life or himself/herself too seriously.

    A person who likes to joke can actually be quite nasty, and play mean "jokes" on others. Telling political/ethnic/or sexually explicit jokes does not make someone jovial.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #7

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    A jovial person does not necessarily have to "joke" he/she can just be a happy-go-lucky peroson who doesn't take life or himself/herself too seriously.

    A person who likes to joke can actually be quite nasty, and play mean "jokes" on others. Telling political/ethnic/or sexually explicit jokes does not make someone jovial.
    What about 'jokey'.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,333
    #8

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    What about 'jokey'.
    Thanks, Bhaisahab

    I think 'jokey' should be the adjective of 'joke'.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #9

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Thanks, Bhaisahab

    I think 'jokey' should be the adjective of 'joke'.
    There is also 'jocular' but it is quite dated.


    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1
    #10

    Re: adjective for 'joke'

    joking is the adjective for joke. If someone likes playing jokes on other people, that is a joking person. Therefore, the adjective so applied. I am not sure about the real content of your question; but, I think the adjective that best suits your question for "joke" is: Witty. This adjective applies to clever people who is very polished in the way they set up words, phrases, and their speech in general.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Adjective Complements
    By fiona bramble in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 04:42
  2. Appositive function as adjective?
    By ringo648 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2009, 00:06
  3. Adjective complements: what are they?
    By donnach in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-Jul-2008, 20:20
  4. Red -- predicate adjective or predicate noun? Or both? (previous post)
    By donnach in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-May-2008, 14:51
  5. Adjective or Adverb?
    By justinwschang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2007, 14:27

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •