• Post Thanks / Like

Wink Effect vs Affect

It seems I am still, after all these years unclear on the differentiation between the correct usages of Effect and Affect in a sentence.
    I have read Webster and I am still confused. Whenever I need to use one or the other...I am stumped.
    If someone would help out with my confusion I would be, "Oh So grateful."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Effect vs Affect

I don't know, but Google does.
    Confusion between the words affect and effect is so common that I almost never see either of the words used correctly. Since I read anything that doesn't move fast enough to get away from me, and since I read hundreds of essays by college students each semester, I have reason to believe that this error is not just a misspelling, but an actual misapprehension of the two words and how they are used.

Generally speaking, affect is a verb and effect is a noun. When you affect something, you produce an effect on it. Even in the passive voice, something would be affected, not effected.

There are certain situations where effect is used as a verb and situations where affect is used as a noun, but very few people ever have a need to use them thus, so unless you are already confident of your ability to use these words correctly, just treat as general the rule that effect is a noun and affect a verb.

(If you feel the need to get fancy, however, here are the meanings of effect as a verb and affect as a noun. As a verb, effect means to execute, produce, or accomplish something; as a noun, affect is used primarily by psychologists to refer to feelings and desires as factors in thought or conduct.)

If you find that you have sometimes made the mistake of switching these two troublesome words, you probably should proofread specifically for them until you have formed the habit of using them correctly without having to think about it.
    By Tina Blue.

Click it

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I used to get phone calls from my old college friend at work asking about this. You're not alone.

Maybe this one trick will help.

Affect with an A is an ACTION (the verb, almost always)
    Effect with an E is the rEsult (the thing that happens)

Yes, effect is a verb sometimes, but let's just pretend it's not.

It will not affect you. You will show no ill effects.

• Post Thanks / Like

My apologies for not responding earlier, as I thought that I would receive a notice in my email. Well, it's nice to know I am not singled out as the sole abuser here. I like the verb/noun descriptions you have used. I also like the Action/rEsult rule. I just need to concentrate on the fly as I am using them both.
    Nobody ever said that I was the shiniest spoon in the drawer, so it may take some time.
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Once again, my apologies for the delay.