• Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Post perfect tenses

please explain!!

1. I have completed my work.

2. I had completed my work.

The first sentence implies that the work is complete now.

The second sentence implies that the work was complete at some point in the past.

the question is "does the second sentence don't imply that the work is not complete now"

please explain!!

thank you in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: perfect tenses

Quote Originally Posted by mamen View Post
    please explain!!

1. I have completed my work.

2. I had completed my work.

The first sentence implies that the work is complete now.

The second sentence implies that the work was complete at some point in the past.

the question is "does the second sentence don't imply that the work is not complete now"

please explain!!

thank you in advance
    As you yourself were able to point this out, both mean that your work is complete at a point in time. If you were interested in whether the work is complete now, you wouldn't say the second sentence, would you? Sentence #2 merely refers to past time. And since your work was complete some time in the past, logically, it is obvious that it is complete now as well, or it is in the state of completion, so to speak.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Post Re: perfect tenses

Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    As you yourself were able to point this out, both mean that your work is complete at a point in time. If you were interested in whether the work is complete now, you wouldn't say the second sentence, would you? Sentence #2 merely refers to past time. And since your work was complete some time in the past, logically, it is obvious that it is complete now as well, or it is in the state of completion, so to speak.
    I know your correct. but can you make your explanation more simpler.

thank you!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The first one, the present perfect, connects it to the present - right now. Right now, the work is completed.

The second one, the past perfect, connects it to some point in the past. At that point in the past, the work was completed.

You use this tense when something else happened after that event, but before now.

I had just finished my work when we had the fire drill. I was sure glad I had finished it before then, because we were outside for hours. (The work is still finished.)

I had finished my work. Then I saw a big mistake I had made. So now I am still working on it to make it right. (The work is no longer finished because an error changed the situation.)

With just the sentence you have listd, you don't know for sure whether the work remains in a finished state without knowing why the writer chose to use the past perfect. Was it to simply tell you about an event that happened after that? Or was it to tell you that the condition of being finished no longer applies?

{not a teacher}

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Post Re: perfect tenses

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    The first one, the present perfect, connects it to the present - right now. Right now, the work is completed.

The second one, the past perfect, connects it to some point in the past. At that point in the past, the work was completed.

You use this tense when something else happened after that event, but before now.

I had just finished my work when we had the fire drill. I was sure glad I had finished it before then, because we were outside for hours. (The work is still finished.)

I had finished my work. Then I saw a big mistake I had made. So now I am still working on it to make it right. (The work is no longer finished because an error changed the situation.)

With just the sentence you have listd, you don't know for sure whether the work remains in a finished state without knowing why the writer chose to use the past perfect. Was it to simply tell you about an event that happened after that? Or was it to tell you that the condition of being finished no longer applies?

{not a teacher}
    thank you!!! (this is the last one)

But what do these sentences imply?

I have eaten my lunch.

I had eaten my lunch.

thank you!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Do you want to come out to lunch with me?

Oh, thanks, no, I've eaten my lunch already. The state of your lunch being eaten connects to the present because right now, you don't want to go out to lunch (and eat again).

The second one would not be used to show that the condition of the lunch being eaten no longer applies. You can't "uneat" it. You would use this only when you want to talk about something that happened after that. I had just eaten the boring lunch I brought from home when Joe told me there was free Mexican food in the cafeteria. I wish he had told me that half an hour before!