• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question 'Attack of Burkha Rage. Grrr.'?

On a train to London, a young woman wearing a burkha, with only her heavily made-up eyes peeping out, did not have a valid ticket.

Challenged by the guard, the young woman gave a litany of excuses. She had left her bag at her boyfriend's, he had bought the ticket, she had no money on her...
    My friend Jane, who was in the same carriage, noticed how the guard became nervous as the Muslim girl presented herself as an innocent in a society she didn't understand.
    Instead of issuing a penalty fine, the guard backed off, shrugging his helplessness at the other passengers.
    So imagine my friend's surprise when she got off at the same station as burkha girl and saw this 'penniless innocent' whip out a credit card from under the folds of her dress with which she promptly bought a Tube ticket.
    Jane was so incensed she sent me a text message, explaining what she'd witnessed. It ended: 'Attack of Burkha Rage. Grrr.'
    ALLISON PEARSON: No, madam in a burkha, you who have offended MY values | Mail Online

Source: the Daily Mail

Q1: What does 'attack of Burkha Rage' refer to?

Q2: Grrr= anger?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: 'Attack of Burkha Rage. Grrr.'?

It's a thinly-veiled reversal of racism: people who hate foreigners sometimes pretend the foreigners are the ones who hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    ALLISON PEARSON: No, madam in a burkha, you who have offended MY values | Mail Online

Source: the Daily Mail

Q1: What does 'attack of Burkha Rage' refer to? Her feelings about someone getting away with an illegal action because they are dressed in that particular way and the conductor was too nervous to stand his ground and insist on the person obeying the railway's rules.

Q2: Grrr= anger? Yes - it symbolises growling.

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

'Burkha rage' isn't idiomatic; it was coined for this one occasion, presumably on the analogy of Road rage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . This expression encouraged the invention of a few analogical expressions, not many of which have caught on - except Trolley rage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (at least, I can't think of any more).

b