• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

plese help me to understand this paragraph

But perhaps the most significant news from the draw ceremony at Wimbledon, where the names were drawn out of a black bag with the All England Club crest on the front, was that Murray, seeded third, was dropped into the top half of the draw, Rafael Nadal's half, rather than the bottom half, which is Roger Federer's half.

I have some problem in understanding this paragraph. please rewrite this paragrpah so that I can understand this easily

thanks in advance

Re: plese help me to understand this paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by jayan12 View Post
    But perhaps the most significant news from the draw ceremony at Wimbledon, where the names were drawn out of a black bag with the All England Club crest on the front, was that Murray, seeded third, was dropped into the top half of the draw, Rafael Nadal's half, rather than the bottom half, which is Roger Federer's half.

I have some problem in understanding this paragraph. please rewrite this paragrpah so that I can understand this easily

thanks in advance

When the Wimbledon Tournament is organised, the names of players are drawn from a bag. Each name is then placed in one of two halves of the playing schedule. This sets the order of play and the various contestants in each match.

In this instance, Andy Murray [no. 3 seed] has been placed in the same group as Federer [the upper half] rather than in the group containing Nadal [the lower half].

Since Nadal may well withdraw, it is not really particularly relevant.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: plese help me to understand this paragraph

Ahem, there is a little misunderstanding here in the above answer. The top half is 'Raphael Nadal's half'. The bottom half is 'Roger Federer's half'.
    All the competitors play against the player they are drawn next to in each round as they continue winning. After each round the number of players is therefore half of what is was in the previous round. Finally the winner in the top half in the semi-final will meet the winner of the bottom half semi-final.

Murray has been drawn in the top half so he could have had to play Nadal in the semi-final if both of them had continued winning up to that point. The fact that Nadal has had to drop out for medical reasons may, at least in seeding terms, make his half of the draw easier.