Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 10
    #1

    No more TENSEd!!

    Fill in the balnks with proper verb form:
    1. David could help, as he _______________ as an ambassador for the last seven years and
    won’t retire until 2010. (to serve)
    I went with "has been serving" but the answer is "has served" -- WHY? Action is still happening and will continue in future too.

    2.By the time she finishes the meal, Kristin _______________ three trophies for carboloading.
    I used "will have had" whereas "will have" is correct answer. My question is DO I ever need "will have had" on this planet?

    thnx


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #2

    Re: No more TENSEd!!

    Regarding the second sentence, both options work. However, in an ESOL examination, I would only mark "will have had" as correct.

    'serve' in the sentence has stative sense: to be employed by the State Department. Stative verbs are normally not used in progressive tenses (has been serving).

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #3

    Cool Re: No more TENSEd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Regarding the second sentence, both options work. However, in an ESOL examination, I would only mark "will have had" as correct.

    'serve' in the sentence has stative sense: to be employed by the State Department. Stative verbs are normally not used in progressive tenses (has been serving).
    The verb serve as such is not a stative verb; however, the meaning of it in that sentence might well be considered as conveying a sense of state.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #4

    Re: No more TENSEd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    The verb serve as such is not a stative verb; however, the meaning of it in that sentence might well be considered as conveying a sense of state.
    agreed

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #5

    Cool Re: No more TENSEd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Regarding the second sentence, both options work. However, in an ESOL examination, I would only mark "will have had" as correct.
    When the verb have has a stative meaning, you don't apply the Future Perfect in such cases.

    By the time Sandra finishes her college, she will have three trophies for the best basketball player.
    vs
    By the time Sandra finishes her college, she will have received three trophies for the best basketball player.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #6

    Re: No more TENSEd!!

    As I said, both work.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #7

    Exclamation Re: No more TENSEd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    As I said, both work.
    In that case, svartnik, would you say something like this:
    By the time Patricia finishes her college, she will have been twenty-five.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #8

    Re: No more TENSEd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    In that case, svartnik, would you say something like this:
    By the time Patricia finishes her college, she will have been twenty-five.
    Never. And I need time to come up with an explanation as to why the original sentence with the same tense still sounds okay.

    Would you say this, eng?

    By the time she finishes the meal, Kristin has had three trophies for carboloading.

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #9

    Thumbs down Re: No more TENSEd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Would you say this, eng?

    By the time she finishes the meal, Kristin has had three trophies for carboloading.
    No.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #10

    Re: No more TENSEd!!

    me neither

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Get tensed
    By muktha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2008, 16:58
  2. your stomach tenses/is tensed
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2008, 12:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •