Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have a little question...
Is it correct (linguistically, of course) to call a couple who has just gotten married "The newly wed" instead of "The newly weds" ??

thank you!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have a little question...
Is it correct (linguistically, of course) to call a couple who has just gotten married "The newly wed" instead of "The newly weds" ??

thank you!

Yes it can be, it depends on the context.

dragn

Member Type
English Teacher
Just be aware that "the newly weds" is incorrect. This is a noun and should be written as a single word or as a hyphenated form: newlyweds or newly-weds.

Greg

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
"to call a couple who has just gotten married"
Linguistically, although 'couple' is singular you are talking about two people and this sounds awkward. Listeners know that you are referring to two people. Therefore, the couple, who are newly-weds (newly-wed refers to one person) have just got married.
It would be right to refer to the newly-wed couple.

Graver

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
is it really incorrect to treat a couple as one single unit?? What about Americans? don't they tend to "singularize" (couldn't come up with any better word here:-|) collective nouns? According to CALD it is possible to say "An elderly couple UK live/US lives next door". Just take a look: Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press

And finally :D ... When I'm referring to a couple who have just got/has just gotten married, can't I just call them "the newly-wed" and do I have to add the word "couple" here?? Or should I only use "the newly-weds" instead?

hope you can follow my train of thought... ;-)

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Strictly, one should not confuse singular and plural. But when considering general usage among the public then some latitude can be adopted. Naturally, there are many differences between US and UK usage.
An elderly couple is correct; and we use live or lives!:)

You can call them the newly-weds (again because we understand that this refers to two people), or
The newly-wed couple.
The latter is singular and the former is plural.
Of course it is confusing; but that is also a delight of the language. It allows for such differentiation.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.