Post how to quote quotation inside quotetion?

I find this article by Brian Stelter on The New York Times, on June 18, 2009 on Page B4 and is have a quotation with quotation and I don't know how to quote...please help me

Cesar Conde, an executive vice president at Univision, the Hispanic network, said in a message that since the switch, “we have seen a significant reduction in the number of calls to our stations and a shift in the types of questions — from ‘How do I get a coupon?’ to ‘How do I install or rescan my converter box? ’ ”

Re: how to quote quotation inside quotetion?

Brian Stelter, of The New York Times, quotes Cesar Conde, an executive vice president at Univision, the Hispanic network, as saying: "...(since the switch) we have seen a significant reduction in the number of calls to our stations and a shift in the types of questions — from ‘How do I get a coupon?’ to ‘How do I install or rescan my converter box? '"

Bibliography:
    Stetler, Brian. "Switch to Digital TV Broadcasts Is a Work in Progress." New York Times, 17 June 2009: B4.

With all apologies to Mr. Stelter, but unless he is really well-known, the "authority' backing the reliability of this information is The New York Times itself, so another way of writing the first part would be:
    The New York Times quotes Cesar Conde, an executive vice president at Univision, the Hispanic network, as saying......

(Note that it was published on the 17th, not 18th June).
    Last edited by David L.; 21-Jun-2009 at 10:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: how to quote quotation inside quotetion?

In BE, we begin with 'inverted commas' for the ordinary quote, and then move on to "quotation marks" for the internal quote:
    Frodo replied: 'But Gandalf said, "You must leave immediately."'

In AE, it's the reverse: we begin with "double quotes" for normal quotations, and then 'single quotes' inside.