Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

please help

Hello Teachers,

Could you please tell me if following sentences are correct? If yes what is the difference?

He suggested me to take a complete rest.
    He suggested me taking a complete rest.
    He suggested that I should take a complete rest.
    He suggested that I take a complete rest.

Please help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: please help

He suggested that I should be taking a complete rest.

Now see the differences. In both the first and last sentences, even better would be 'that I should take'. If imperative, then replace 'should' with 'must'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: please help

Quote Originally Posted by hsb View Post
    Hello Teachers,

Could you please tell me if following sentences are correct? If yes what is the difference?

He suggested me to take a complete rest.
    He suggested me taking a complete rest.

Please help.
    In the case of last sentence you must use should which has been done in the previous sentence, as because the repoting verb 'suggested' is in the past tense.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    In the case of last sentence you must use should which has been done in the previous sentence, as because the repoting verb 'suggested' is in the past tense.
    No. It is perfectly acceptable to say 'that I take'.
    The boxes with ticks are wrong in the first two cases.
    The last one is right.

Please see my previous answer.

Hi apex2000,

Thank you very much for replying.Actually, I want to know more about "that clause". Could you please tell after which verbs "that" must be used?

Please help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Quote Originally Posted by hsb View Post
    Hi apex2000,

Thank you very much for replying.Actually, I want to know more about "that clause". Could you please tell me after which verbs "that" must be used?

Please help.
    In most cases and after most verbs. 'That' is a very common word; it is used in very many sentences, and phrases.
    That man is old. Have you heard that my car ran out of petrol?
    That is not what I said. When I told you that, I meant it to be a secret. What's that?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by apex2000 View Post
    No. It is perfectly acceptable to say 'that I take'.
    The boxes with ticks are wrong in the first two cases.
    The last one is right.

Please see my previous answer.
    Hi Apex2000,
    I agree but beg to differ with you on the 1st and 4th sentences due to the reasons explained below.
    1) "Suggest" is a transitive verb because it always requires a direct object. You can therefore suggest/request/tell/' someone to do something. If this is accepted then what is wrong in the construction of the sentence:
    He suggested me to take a complete rest..
    2) As per Cambridge dictionary the use of the word ‘suggest’ is given as follows:
    Liz suggested (that) I try the shop on Mill Road.
    [+ ing form of verb] I suggested putting the matter to the committee.
    So the second sentence, He suggested me taking a complete rest .will be correct if me is taken out
    3) As per any grammar book when reporting what someone else has said, the reporting verb in the main clause is usually in the past tense. The rest of the sentence is normally past too, and the reporting clause is introduced by a linking conjunction such as that or if which follows the reporting verb:
    Examples: She suggested that he should go to the dentist.
    She suggested that he went to the dentist.
    But as suggested by Cambridge dictionary the sentence “He suggested that I take a complete restis correct but this is subjunctive, commonly used in AmE; used less often in BE but rarely used in countries having English as second language like India
    Last edited by sarat_106; 24-Jun-2009 at 11:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Hi Apex2000,
    I agree but beg to differ with you on the 1st and 4th sentences due to the reasons explained below.
    1) "Suggest" is a transitive verb because it always requires a direct object. You can therefore suggest/request/tell/' someone to do something. If this is accepted then what is wrong in the construction of the sentence:
    He suggested me to take a complete rest..
    "He suggested me.." is not correct. The direct object of 'suggest' is 'a complete rest'. He suggested a complete rest.
    In any event, an argument from grammar does not change the fact that the sentence is wrong in standard English usage.

2) As per Cambridge dictionary the use of the word ‘suggest’ is given as follows:
    Liz suggested (that) I try the shop on Mill Road.
    [+ ing form of verb] I suggested putting the matter to the committee.
    So the second sentence, He suggested me taking a complete rest .will be correct if me is taken out
    Yes, it's correct if you take 'me' out.

3) As per any grammar book when reporting what someone else has said, the reporting verb in the main clause is usually in the past tense. The rest of the sentence is normally past too, and the reporting clause is introduced by a linking conjunction such as that or if which follows the reporting verb:
    Examples: She suggested that he should go to the dentist.
    She suggested that he went to the dentist.
    But as suggested by Cambridge dictionary the sentence “He suggested that I take a complete restis correct but this is subjunctive, commonly used in AmE; used less often in BE but rarely used in countries having English as second language like India

In all your reading, have you found an example where "He suggested me ..." is given as a correct example?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

I fail to understand why you are coming here for help, then try to 'throw' some grammar book at us. As Raymott has pointed out, we are concerned with is what is said. That is in English, whether here or in America.

"He suggested me taking a complete rest."

If you take out 'me' then what is left is a correct sentence but it fails to deliver what was intended. What do you want? A sentence that delivers the correct information, or something else that you have not asked us for?
    What is the purpose of 'me'?
    "He suggested taking a complete rest" does not tell us who should take that rest. The speaker? Someone else? About whom?
    If you intend to use English then you should not tie yourself up in trying to figure out the intricacies of verb explanations, rather take notice of how English is spoken, and written.

Hello Teachers,

Thank you very much for replying.

Actually,I have a confusion with "that".That is why I asked this question.Could you please tell me which of the following sentence you are likely to use as a native especially in speech?

A) I knew it would happen.

B) I knew that it would happen.

Please help me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast