Exclamation Adverb and Prepositin

Please can someone tell me the simplest way to differ between an adverb and a preposition?

Re: Adverb and Prepositin

Adverbs - English Grammar
    Adverbs

Adverbs are words that modify, or describe, other words. They can modify verbs, as in, "He speaks softly." Or they can modify adjectives, as in, "This room is delightfully old-fashioned." Or they can even modify other adverbs, as in, "He walked very slowly."

You can turn many adjectives into adverbs by adding ly to the end, as in quietly, quickly, slowly, or gladly. But be careful! This isn't true 100% of the time. For example, this doesn't work for adjectives that already end in y, such as happy. The adverbial form of happy is happily.

Adverbs can come at the beginning, middle, or end of a sentence. You can say, "Quickly, she ran down the street," or "She ran quickly down the street" or "She ran down the street quickly." However, you should never put an adverb between a verb and its object. You can say, "I hungrily ate an apple," but not "I ate hungrily an apple."

See this video to learn about prepositions.
    YouTube - #880 ESL Video: Basic Prepositions

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by MIC85 View Post
    Please can someone tell me the simplest way to differ between an adverb and a preposition?
    Dear MIC85,
    The simplest way sounds to be studying some grammar book to get some ideas what they mean at all since these are the very basic items to learn..."adverbs" are used to give more info on or about the quality of your verb or adj, (I study hard ), while "prepositions", come before nouns or noun phrases to connect them to the previous items, (She was going down the corridor), or (I could see there was Sth inside the room ),...I hope you get the least understanding...Cheers...

Thanks all!!