I have tried to find out meaning and use of most of the expressions with the word ‘about’. But there are still a few left out, as the reply was too large for the forum to accept, these are deleted
There is a rumor about.A Rumor About something provides a new and deeper understanding of a harmful ideology and its broader implications
2. Several schoolboys were standing about. Here it means the boys are waiting and doing nothing
3. A rumor without a leg to stand.
4. a rumor without a leg to stand = a groundless rumor which gets around some other way
5. They moved the furniture about. Movement by some distance from some place. They moved the furniture about 3’ from the wall.
6. After swimming a mile he turned about and swam back.
turn about = the act of turning about and facing or moving in the opposite direction. Actually it is first retreat (withdrawing from any adventure), then about turn and move in the opposite direction. The Submarine turned about and fled after the steamer opened fire
7. It is about time you learned the rule.
about time = long past the right time or exactly the right time; also, approximately the right time Underlined meaning is correct.
8. It’s about three o’clock. It is nearly 3’o clock.
9. The performance is about to begin. Performance means a stage-show which will begin shortly
10. He is about my size. A person’s size is described by his height, weight, chest and waste measurements. So he is nearly/equal to my ht/wt etc.
11. I am about as tall as he is.
about as tall = almost as tall OK
12. That’s about right. Sometimes only the exact amount will do, but in everyday speech we often speak using approximations for which is due. So it means: That is approximately my/your/his due.
13. That’s just about enough.Can't take any more of you, Give me what I deserve,
14. He was about to say something.
was about to say = intended to say OK
15. A plane about to take off.
about to take off = intended/starts moving to fly off OK
16. What are you about? When you deal with people through advertisement/website it necessary to say something about you, who are your prospects and what their site is all about..
17. I’m up and about. I'm ready to start my work/assignment since it's a workday.
18. What is it all about? When you want to learn/go deep into anything you ask this question. For example: Human life; What is it all about? Ans: Deep inside, we all know that there must be more to life than just eating, drinking and doing our own thing. Otherwise, living has no meaning whatsoever and we are no better than animals. .But there is indeed a PURPOSE to our existence as there is a FINAL DESTINATION awaiting all of us, and for most it will be a quite a shocking surprise.
19. We have to go turn and turn about. Doing things by turns: They fought the fire, turn and turn about, until daybreak.
21. All his belongings were lying about the floor.
were lying about the floor = were flung about the floor/lying helter skelter The term helter skelter means in chaotic and disorderly manner.
23. He run about the room. He has a free run of the whole special room
24. He traveled about the country. He has traveled some parts/areas of the country.
25. Tell me all about it. When you want to know every thing of a matter/subject use this. Understanding the Role of Media in Economic Development; Tell me all about it
27. She went about her usual duties. Get engaged with her normal work
29. Here is something about her. Some special attraction with her. Here is a poem using the expression:There's something about her
I can't live with out her
30. Here is something queer about him. Some strange facts (not revealed earlier) about him
31. There was something fishy about him.of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady things about him.
38. I don’t like to do an about-face. A drill comand giver by senior officer on which a unit or soldier makes a 180 degree turn
Student or Learner