• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

traditional/digital media

Hi

He specializes in scientific and medical illustrations in both traditional and digital media.

He received his bachelor's degree in biological and premedical illustration.

1. Does the first one mean that he created these illustrations using both traditional and digital media?

2. What is it "premedical illustration", I know that there can be a premedical school, but illustration???

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: traditional/digital media

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

He specializes in scientific and medical illustrations in both traditional and digital media.

He received his bachelor's degree in biological and premedical illustration.

1. Does the first one mean that he created these illustrations using both traditional and digital media?

2. What is it "premedical illustration", I know that there can be a premedical school, but illustration???
    Hello Guest 2008
    Re #1: Usually when we say someone specializes in something it refers to their familiarity with a particular subject, skill or other. So yes, I would understand from the context that he is familiar with using these techniques.

#2: Yes, this puzzled me too. From my nursing experience I can guess that it refers to illustrations in the medical field that are not patient-related, but I am only guessing. I have noticed some of your questions are scientific in nature - I was wondering if you have tried other science-based forums more particular to the subjects. Even as native speakers it's not always clear because of unfamiliarity with a subject.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by csheywood View Post
    From my nursing experience I can guess that it refers to illustrations in the medical field that are not patient-related, but I am only guessing.
    Hi

"not patient-related" - does it mean "non-medical"?

on page 147 you have the whole paragraph about this guy: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13749359/Stretching-Anatomy
    Last edited by GUEST2008; 28-Jun-2009 at 17:53.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

"not patient-related" - does it mean "non-medical"?
    Hello
    Not necessarily. Referring to your original post, I was only guessing about the context of 'premedical', which was out of the context I am familiar with. I don't know enough about illustrating to know what the author is referring to. For example, the book is used in premedical studies because students will need to study a certain amount before meeting and applying knowledge to patients (pre = before). But I cannot say it's a non-medical book because it's part of the first stage in the necessary medical training.