• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

Being

I am reading a book "Healing Words" ---The power of prayer and the practice of medicine writen by Larry Dossey.

I am citing some sentences as follows:

" The impulse to do when sick is understandable--to take the antibiotic with a cold's first sniffles, to rush to surgery, and so on--and a certain amount of doing is always valuable and can even be lifesaving. But doing must also be supplemented by being--looking inward, examing, focusing, wondering, asking. Being and doing are not incompatible; they can and should coexist."

My question is: what is the meaning of Being here?

Thank you for your time and help in advance.

Best wishes,

Yu Heci

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: Being

Quote Originally Posted by yuheci View Post
    I am reading a book "Healing Words" ---The power of prayer and the practice of medicine writen by Larry Dossey.

I am citing some sentences as follows:

" The impulse to do when sick is understandable--to take the antibiotic with a cold's first sniffles, to rush to surgery, and so on--and a certain amount of doing is always valuable and can even be lifesaving. But doing must also be supplemented by being--looking inward, examing, focusing, wondering, asking. These words explain in more detail what the writer is trying to say. Being and doing are not incompatible; they can and should coexist."

My question is: what is the meaning of Being here?
    He uses the verb 'to be' since he is describing the state of the human reaction in illnesss.