first look

This is part of an agreement.
    I'm not sure of the meaning.

1.Within 14 days of the execution hereof and thereafter on a quarterly Annual basis thereafter, Artist shall submit to X on an exclusive “first-look” basis, a minimum of 1 artistic designs of creations (“Artistic Works”) digitally imposed as a mock-up on the template provided by X to Artist. Thereafter, X may request or suggest changes to the mock-up and will work with Artist for a period not to exceed 30 days from X’ initial receipt of the Artistic Works.

Questions:

1. Must the Artist submit his work within 14 days after he signs this agreement?

2. Must he submit his other works on a quarterly Annual basis?
    3. What does "on an exclusive first look basis" mean?

Thank you in advance

Unepomme
    Last edited by unepomme; 29-Jun-2009 at 23:59.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: first look

Quote Originally Posted by unepomme View Post
    this is part of an agreement.
    I'm not sure of the meaning.

1.within 14 days of the execution hereof and thereafter on a quarterly annual basis thereafter, artist shall submit to x on an exclusive “first-look” basis, a minimum of 1 artistic designs of creations (“artistic works”) digitally imposed as a mock-up on the template provided by vannen to artist. Thereafter, vannen may request or suggest changes to the mock-up and will work with artist for a period not to exceed 30 days from vannen’ initial receipt of the artistic works.

Questions:

1. Must the artist submit his work within 14 days after he signs this agreement?
    yes.

2. Must he submit his other works on a quarterly annual basis?
    yes, but i'm not sure what "quarterly annual" means. 'quarterly' means once every three months (a quarter of a year), and 'annually' means once a year. Maybe it means quarter-annually, ie. Quarterly.
    also, i'm not sure why 'thereafter' is used twice.
    Would i be correct in assuming that this contract was not drawn up by a native english speaker?

3. What does "on an exclusive first look basis" mean?
    this means that the artist must give vannen the right to use the artistic product exclusively. If vannen does not want to use the product, the artist is free to offer it for use elsewhere. The company gets first choice of whether to accept it or not.

thank you in advance

unepomme
    r.

Re: first look

Thank you for your help, Raymott

>Would i be correct in assuming that this contract was not drawn up by a native english speaker?

I'm not sure of this matter, either, but I assumed it must have been drawn up by a native english speaker because the company is located in California.