• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

sharp, keen, acute

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the usage of “keen”, “sharp” and “acute” in the following sentences?

• It awakened in her a keen desire for relation.
    • But now.. this keen yearning of his stomach was tickled hugely by the sharp, salty bacon.
    • ..his unrest had been sharp and painful.
    • John took his hand from under her arm, his sensation was so sharp and confused.
    • If I could go out of life now, without too sharp a pang, it would be well for me, I thought.
    • The dull monotonous ache of hunger ahd now become a sharp and insistent pang.
    • At twelve they returned and after that, naturally, the curiosity in regard to her grew monumentarily sharper.
    • The conservation was interrupted by a service call, and never resumed about this particulat woman, but the effect on Clyde was sharp.
    • Never had he read fiction with such keen zest as he studied these books.
    • ..when two months wore away, and day after day the post arrived and brought nothing for me, I fell a prey to the keenest anxiety.
    • But one of Magnus’s strongest instincts, one of his keenest desires, was to be, if only for a short time, the master.
    • Vanamee’s unhappiness was too keen this night for him to dwell long upon the vagaries of his mind.
    • The child tugging at her nipples gave her a physical satisfaction a thousanfd times more acute and exquisite than the clumsy careness of George Augustus.
    • At this point Mary, who had been standing in the background, observing her father’s paroxysm and his manner towards Nessie with an expression of acute anxiety, came forward and said coaxingly.
    • Renwick..observed her clear profile, the faint colour stirring in her soft cheek, her unwonted animation, with a strange satisfaction, a sense of pleasure more acute than that with which she viewed the countryside.

I felt a sharp pain.
    I felt a keen pain.
    I felt an acute pain.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: sharp, keen, acute

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the usage of “keen”, “sharp” and “acute” in the following sentences?

I felt a sharp pain.
    I felt a keen pain.
    I felt an acute pain.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    'sharp' and 'acute' are much more similar in use, especially when referring to pain; they indicate something sudden, while 'keen' has a more optimistic meaning so it doesn't sound right (to me) even though it is right.
    Perhaps you will find this useful:
    keen - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online