Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. seba_870701's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 284
    #1

    Research vs. Researches

    Dear teachers!

    I'm not quite sure whether there's a difference in use or meaning between the following words: (1) research, and (2) researches. I always thought that research is uncountable on principle, but some recent encounters with the word made me wonder if I'm right..

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    Sebastian

    PS

    Wouldn't it be a good idea if there was a 'prefix' standing for vocabulary questions (in addition to grammar and others) next to the title when you start a new thread

  2. mara_ce's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 6,067
    #2

    Re: Research vs. Researches

    research [uncountable] also researches formal (Longman)
    1 serious study of a subject, in order to discover new facts or test new ideas
    research into/on
    research into the causes of cancer
    scientific/medical/historical etc research
    a research team
    do/conduct/undertake research
    I'm still doing research for my thesis.
    Gould was helped in his researches by local naturalists.

    2 the activity of finding information about something that you are interested in or need to know about:
    It's a good idea to do some research before you buy a house.

    researches plural noun (Cambridge)
    His researches (= research) in the field of disease prevention produced unexpected results.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #3

    Re: Research vs. Researches

    Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    Wouldn't it be a good idea if there was a 'prefix' standing for vocabulary questions (in addition to grammar and others) next to the title when you start a new thread
    Yes, it would; I'll see if it can be arranged.

    BTW, I'm no fan of 'researches' and never use it.

  3. Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 3,567
    #4

    Re: Research vs. Researches

    Good idea! Done
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: Research vs. Researches

    Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    Wouldn't it be a good idea if there was a 'prefix' standing for vocabulary questions (in addition to grammar and others) next to the title when you start a new thread
    In an ideal world maybe, where students were all grammarians.
    I can see two immediate problems:
    - Many students would not know if their question related to lexis or syntax or semantics, or pragmatics, or ...
    - Many (if not most) questions do not fit into neat categories like this.

    But sure, we could have a trial and see if chaos results

    By the way, I think your question would come under "morphology".

  5. seba_870701's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 284
    #6

    Re: Research vs. Researches

    First of all, thank you for the clarification of use of the words in question (see topic)! I'll remain faithful to singular, uncountable research.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Yes, it would; I'll see if it can be arranged.

    BTW, I'm no fan of 'researches' and never use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
    Good idea! Done
    Secondly, well done, moderators!
    I'm sure it'll help many users to classify their questions more accurately, and consequently will also help the teachers to answer them more quickly!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    In an ideal world maybe, where students were all grammarians.
    I can see two immediate problems:
    - Many students would not know if their question related to lexis or syntax or semantics, or pragmatics, or ...
    - Many (if not most) questions do not fit into neat categories like this.

    But sure, we could have a trial and see if chaos results

    By the way, I think your question would come under "morphology".
    Raymott, I appreciate your contribution, but your reasoning went slightly too far Try starting a new thread in Ask a Teacher section and you'll see what I meant by the "prefix" in my original post. Simply, when you create a thread, you can mark it with a prefix determining the type of the question you're about to post. The categories to choose from are as follows:
    essay, grammar, CV, general, idiom, support, and vocabulary (the last one added very recently)
    As you see, one doesn't necessarily have to be a linguist to pick the one that suits most to his/her question

    Cheers,
    Seba

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: Research vs. Researches

    Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    As you see, one doesn't necessarily have to be a linguist to pick the one that suits most to his/her question

    Cheers,
    Seba
    OK, I didn't know that. I've only initiated a few posts and, I think, not in the "Ask a Teacher" section. Thanks for clarifying.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #8

    Re: Research vs. Researches

    Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    Secondly, well done, moderators!
    I'm sure it'll help many users to classify their questions more accurately, and consequently will also help the teachers to answer them more quickly!
    I hope so, but we still get quite a few Mr/Mrs/Ms, etc, in the box labelled Title for new threads.

  7. Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 3,567
    #9

    Re: Research vs. Researches

    Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    Try starting a new thread in Ask a Teacher section and you'll see what I meant by the "prefix" in my original post.
    Actually, this functionality should be throughout the forum, wherever you are able to post.

    Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    The categories to choose from are as follows:
    essay, grammar, CV, general, idiom, support, and vocabulary
    These are very easy to add. If you want to continue this discussion about thread prefixes, may I suggest opening a new thread in the Comments and Suggestions folder (https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/c...s-suggestions/).

    Glad to have been of help!
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.

Similar Threads

  1. how to revise this article in American style?
    By purecopper in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-May-2009, 00:56
  2. Motivation letter for doctoral research
    By nympha in forum Letter Writing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-May-2009, 15:21
  3. research, researches
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2008, 13:30
  4. abstract of a research
    By feryeng in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2008, 19:42

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •