• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

• Post Thanks / Like

relishing, courting; languishing

I am still reading the book "Healing Words", The power of prayer and the practice of medicine.

I want to know the real meaning of some word in the following text:

"I realized there were benefits to feeling bad-but I found it almost impossible to communicate this ides to others. It was invariably interpreted as a morbid focusing on pain, relishing illness, courting disease; I was languishing in my problems"

Could you please teach me the meaning of relishing, courting, and languishing here.

Also please teach me is there any differences between illness and disease here.

If there is any mistake in this post, please also let me know.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Yu Heci

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: relishing, courting; languishing

Quote Originally Posted by yuheci View Post
    I am still reading the book "Healing Words", The power of prayer and the practice of medicine.

I want to know the real meaning of some word in the following text:

"I realized there were benefits to feeling bad-but I found it almost impossible to communicate this ides to others. It was invariably interpreted as a morbid focusing on pain, relishing illness, courting disease; I was languishing in my problems"

Could you please teach me the meaning of relishing, courting, and languishing here.

Also please teach me is there any differences between illness and disease here.

If there is any mistake in this post, please also let me know.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Yu Heci

Hi yuheci!

Relish: Liking or taking delight in something
    So, in the context of the sentence, the author tells us he was happy to be in pain.

Courting: 1. Seeking the affections of. 2. Acting in such a manner as to cause, lead to, or provoke: courting disaster by reckless driving.
    The author is saying he/she invited or wanted disease through some action of his/hers.

Languishing: Indicates tender, sentimental melancholy: a languishing sigh. It an also refer to time as in: to undergo neglect or experience prolonged inactivity; suffer hardship and distress: to languish in prison for ten years. In this instance the author seems to be saying they enjoyed being absorbed in their problems without seeking a solution.

Disease refers to a diagnosable problem, which might be physiological (a physical disorder) or psychiatric (a mental disorder).

Illness means feeling unwell. People might feel ill when they have some disease symptoms; they also might feel ill when no symptoms are present.

I want to know the meaning of some words in the following text:

-The word real doesn't need to be there unless you're afraid someone has given you the wrong meaning. The meaning IS the meaning. To try and illustrate: 2+2 EQUALS 4. A word equals it's meaning, you wouldn't ask for the 'real' answer to 2+2. Unless you thought someone had given you the wrong answer!

-"Also please teach me; is there any differences between illness and disease here?"

-Also please teach me; are there any differences between illness and disease here?

'Also please teach me' can be a complete sentence, it reads as if you have run two sentences together but you can join these with a semi-colon. (;)

-If you want to use the word 'is', use difference, if you use are there, use differences.

-Use a question mark (?) when asking a question.

These sentences could be improved by joining them into one:

"Also, what is the difference between illness and disease?"

Just by asking the question you are asking to be taught.

-Using the word here at the end is not wrong but unnecessarily as there are no other instances of these words elsewhere in the text.

"If there is any mistake in this post, please also let me know."

Also, if there are any mistakes in this post, please let me know.

-Your original sentence asks for one (single) mistake. You want to ask for any or all so use the plural form.

I am not a teacher so can't fully explain why also should be at the beginning of the sentence but it should!