came down to

Hi!

What does "came down to" mean in this context? I looked it up in a lot of dictionaries, but... I am not sure I get this one..

"The Allies spent two and a half years planning the invasion of Normandy. But on D-Day it came down to a handful of men on a strip of beach to decide the fate of the world."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: came down to

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi!

What does "came down to" mean in this context? I looked it up in a lot of dictionaries, but... I am not sure I get this one..

"The Allies spent two and a half years planning the invasion of Normandy. But on D-Day it came down to a handful of men on a strip of beach to decide the fate of the world."
    "to come down to"

come down to:
    1. To confront or deal with forthrightly: When you come right down to it, you have to admit I'm correct.
    2. To amount to in essence: It comes down to this: the man is a cheat.
    come down - definition of come down by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

come down to something
    to be reduced to something; to amount to no more than something. It comes down to whether you want to go to the movies or stay at home and watch television. It came down to either getting a job or going to college.
    come down to - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

In this case, it means that the decision about that fate of the world was reduced to being made by a handful of men.

PS: Whenever you look up something, try to look up the present tense bare infinitive version. A dictionary does not list all possible inflections of a word or phrase.