Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 13
    #1

    had had or had

    after she came, we had a dinner

    after she came, we had had a dinner

    are both sentences acceptable?

    if yes how to explain the difference?

    please help.. cheers!

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #2

    Re: had had or had

    After she came, we had a dinner.

    "had had" says it came before another action. You just said it came AFTER the arrival, so that makes no sense.


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 13
    #3

    Re: had had or had

    1. after she came, we had dinner

    2. after she came, we had had dinner

    does it mean no. 2 the 'had' is redundant?

    so in this question only no 1 is correct?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #4

    Re: had had or had

    Quote Originally Posted by lineker1976 View Post
    1. after she came, we had dinner

    2. after she came, we had had dinner

    does it mean no. 2 the 'had' is redundant?

    so in this question only no 1 is correct?
    Yes, as Barb_D has said 'had had' means it came before another action, for example: 'We had had dinner before she arrived.'


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 13
    #5

    Re: had had or had

    how about if we say,

    we had dinner last night

    we had had dinner last night

    can we explain the difference between these 2 sentences? it came out as one of my exam question..

    please help.. thanks

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #6

    Re: had had or had

    Quote Originally Posted by lineker1976 View Post
    how about if we say,

    we had dinner last night

    we had had dinner last night

    can we explain the difference between these 2 sentences? it came out as one of my exam question..

    please help.. thanks
    'We had dinner last night'. You know what this means I think.
    'We had had dinner last night', doesn't make sense as a stand alone sentence, it needs to be preceded or followed by something else. We had had dinner last night when George phoned. George phoned after we had had dinner last night. For example.


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 13
    #7

    Re: had had or had

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    'We had dinner last night'. You know what this means I think.
    'We had had dinner last night', doesn't make sense as a stand alone sentence, it needs to be preceded or followed by something else. We had had dinner last night when George phoned. George phoned after we had had dinner last night. For example.
    now i understand it, thanks very much bhaisahab


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 40
    #8

    Re: had had or had

    BhaiSahab, can we use this sentence in this place?

    We had dinner last night before George called.
    By the time George called, we had dinner last night.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #9

    Re: had had or had

    Quote Originally Posted by stitusandrews View Post
    BhaiSahab, can we use this sentence in this place?

    We had dinner last night before George called.
    By the time George called, we had dinner last night.
    We had dinner last night before George called.
    By the time George called last night, we had had dinner.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •