• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

blasphemous place

I am still reading the book "Healing Words", The power of prayer and the practice of medicine.

I want to know the meaning of the following text:

"Leshan has studied distant healing perhaps more thoroughly than anyone. He has been struck by the paradoxes of this area, including the fact that miracles and failures seem frequently to stand side by side. LeShan emphasizes a remark by George Bernard Shaw that Lourdes is the most blasphemous place on the face of the earth: mountains of wheelchairs and piles of crutches exist, "but not a single wooden leg, glass eye, or toupee!" This is evidence, Shaw maintained, that God's power is limited; there are things he apparently cannot do, and this is blasphemy."

I have checked from "Hutchinson Encyclopedia" about Lourdes in southwest France. It is an important Roman Catholic pilgrimage centre.

I am wondring why Shaw thought it is the most blasphemous place on the face of the earth, what is the evidence of "but not a single wooden leg, glass eye, or toupee!". And what is the meanign remark here.

Also, please let me know if there are any mistakes in this post. Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: blasphemous place

Your information is right. Shaw's understanding of Christian teachings was limited. The reasons for his use of the word were nothing to do with language. He was being intentionally provocative. I wonder if you are... Just in case, I'm closing this thread.

b