• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

engage with

Please help me understand the following in bold.

1. I watch their behavior to see if they are paying attention to or, better still, engaging with the strangers in the room. Given that they will have to engage with our patients, this gives me a clue as to what their future with us could be like.

2. Automobile insurance aompanies were blindsided by Progressive's innovative moves; the major airlines were caught short when Southwest shifted the standards of the industry.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: engage with

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Please help me understand the following in bold.

1. I watch their behavior to see if they are paying attention to or, better still, engaging with the strangers in the room. Given that they will have to engage with our patients, this gives me a clue as to what their future with us could be like. The speaker observe with keen interest to asses how they (invitees/newcomers) interact with the strangers in the room to understand their problems because they will have to subsequenly deal with his patients

2. Automobile insurance aompanies were blindsided by Progressive's innovative moves; the major airlines were caught short when Southwest shifted the standards of the industry. the major airlines were caught unaware when Southwest (another insurance company) shifted or changed the standards of the industry..

Thank you.

engage with is a phrasal verb- engage with somebody means: to get involved with other people and their ideas in order to understand them:
    caught short is an idiom meaning: not prepared for something

Re: engage with

1. I watch their behavior to see if they are paying attention to, or better still, engaging with the strangers in the room. Given that they will have to engage with our patients, this gives me a clue as to what their future with us could be like. The speaker observes with keen interest, to asses how 'they' interact with the strangers in the room to understand their problems how much they are interested in and start a conversation with the people they haven't met before, because they will have to subsequently would be required to socialize and be at ease with his patients, who similarly, will be 'strangers' at first.

2. Automobile insurance companies were blindsided by Progressive's innovative moves; the major airlines were caught short when Southwest shifted the standards of the industry.

2. Automobile insurance companies were blindsided by Progressive's innovative moves; and similarly, the major airlines were found to be lacking in their delivery of service to passengers when Southwest (Airlines) shifted the standards of the industry=gave a better quality of service than the other airlines were offering at that time.

caught short: Found to be lacking something one needs
    Similarly, a person suddenly has an unexpected bill to pay, and is caught short because he doesn't have enough money to be able to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • France

so is it ok?

-- The most importance to him is to know how her girlfriend engaging with his family.

-- Her assistant could not give her the documents required in the deadline. therefore, she is caught short for the board meeting.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm not a teacher...

Quote Originally Posted by qyhuo View Post
    -- The most importance to him is to know how her girlfriend engaging with
    his family.
    I would say it this way:
    Of utmost importance to him is knowing how engaging his girlfriend is with his family.

Quote Originally Posted by qyhuo View Post
    -- Her assistant could not give her the documents required in the deadline. therefore, she is caught short for the board meeting.
    I would put it this way:
    Her assistant could not give her the documents required before (or by) the deadline. therefore, she was caught short for the board meeting.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • France

[quote=opa6x57;492163]I'm not a teacher...

thanks u