Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Is there a difference between 'I was married three years ago' and 'I got married three years ago'? I would think that if you are still married you say 'I got married three years ago' which means you have been married for three years.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Is there a difference between 'I was married three years ago' and 'I got married three years ago'? I would think that if you are still married you say 'I got married three years ago' which means you have been married for three years.

Generally speaking, you're right in your thinking. Get indicates a change, while was a state.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If you are still married, you could say either.
If you are not married now, but you did get married to someone three years ago, you could still say either.

The only difference is that a person who has been married for more than three years could still say "I was married three years ago", but not "I got married three years ago".
In this case, the meaning would be 'married' in an adjective. "I was a married person three years ago"... and two years ago, etc ...
Naturally, a person would not say this without a context.
The following conversation could occur, where "being married" is not the same as "getting married", and where B could be either married or not married at present.
A: Hey, I never asked. Did you get lucky with that blonde at that conference three years ago?
B: You forget. I was married three years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.