Editability.

Simple question, why is "editability" not a word? I cannot find it in any dictionary, but (being in the software industry) wouldn't hesitate to use it in speech as it sounds completely correct and there is not another word (that I can think of) which puts across the same meaning: whether something is editable.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Editability.

I'm not a teacher...
    Quote Originally Posted by billw View Post
    Simple question, why is "editability" not a word? I cannot find it in any dictionary, but (being in the software industry) wouldn't hesitate to use it in speech as it sounds completely correct and there is not another word (that I can think of) which puts across the same meaning: whether something is editable.
    I did find it in Wiktionary: editability - Wiktionary

Also - I found 'alterability' in thefreedictionary.com: Alterability - definition of Alterability by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

And - since 'to alter' is a synonymn of 'to edit', I think the same suffix is appropriate.

So - I woud say that editability is a proper word, constructed by adding the suffix -ability to the root word edit.

(I too, am a programmer - and would not hesitate to use this word.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by billw View Post
    A dictionary doesn't contain all the morphological variants of the base word.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    A dictionary doesn't contain all the morphological variants of the base word.
    Very well said, sir.