Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 431
    #1

    As never before

    The world delivers facts and events and art and ideas, as never before, but the young American mind hasnít opened.

    Question: deliver facts...= make facts... accessible? Present facts...?

    But "as never before" which inplies that in the past the world also delivered all these things, but this time, it's diferent. Different from the past. The amount of the facts, events, art, ideas delievered? Maybe more than that, the ways to deliver those things? In other words, what's the difference betwen the "deliver" in the past and the "deliver " now? Can someone pinpoint this phrase?


  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #2

    Cool Re: As never before

    Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    The world delivers facts and events and art and ideas, as never before, but the young American mind hasn’t opened.

    Question: deliver facts...= make facts... accessible? Present facts...?

    But "as never before" which inplies that in the past the world also delivered all these things, but this time, it's diferent.
    I'm afraid you're wrong. The expression as never before means as it has never been the case before now.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 431
    #3

    Re: As never before

    Thank you for your reply. I have no problem understanding the phrase as "it has never been the case before now". But we probably can't say that the world has never delivered the facts..., as the world has been delivering facts... In terms of the world delivering the facts, the past and now are the same case. What has never been the case is probably the magnitude and maybe more than magnitude. And I want to narrow down what that magnitude and the "more" are. That was my original question. Maybe I didn't say it clearly.

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    I'm afraid you're wrong. The expression as never before means as it has never been the case before now.
    Last edited by ian2; 12-Jul-2009 at 17:19.

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #4

    Exclamation Re: As never before

    Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I have no problem understanding "it has never been the case before now". But we probably can't say that the world has never delivered the facts..., as the world has been delivering facts... In terms of the world delivering the facts, the past and now are the same case. What has never been the case is probably the magnitude. And I want to narrow down what that magnitude is. That was my original question. Maybe I didn't say it clearly.
    That's true. Just like you, I reckon the author wanted to say, through the use of the as never before, that nowadays the world delivers much more information than it used to - the Internet, the mass media and the like provide us with such an enormous mass of the latest facts and ideas that it is not possible to compare this current situation with the one that was present in the past.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #5

    Re: As never before

    Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    The world delivers facts and events and art and ideas, as never before, but the young American mind hasnít opened.

    Question: deliver facts...= make facts... accessible? Present facts...?

    But "as never before" which inplies that in the past the world also delivered all these things, but this time, it's diferent. Different from the past. The amount of the facts, events, art, ideas delievered? Maybe more than that, the ways to deliver those things? In other words, what's the difference betwen the "deliver" in the past and the "deliver " now? Can someone pinpoint this phrase?

    I think the ways, speed and quantity would all be included in the delivery as they're all considerably different from the past and the break implied by 'as never before' is not the consequence of a single element but the coming-together of the various elements. If we got more facts, but at the same speed as before, it would simply be bigger newspapers and fatter encyclopedias and not particularly revolutionary IMO. We get more, faster and can control the way we consume them to a large extent, and here it's not just the internet, but also mobile phones, ipods, etc, and TV where we can pause real time programs if we want, etc.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 431
    #6

    Re: As never before

    Thanks. Tdol. This is what I really wanted. An excellent answer!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I think the ways, speed and quantity would all be included in the delivery as they're all considerably different from the past and the break implied by 'as never before' is not the consequence of a single element but the coming-together of the various elements. If we got more facts, but at the same speed as before, it would simply be bigger newspapers and fatter encyclopedias and not particularly revolutionary IMO. We get more, faster and can control the way we consume them to a large extent, and here it's not just the internet, but also mobile phones, ipods, etc, and TV where we can pause real time programs if we want, etc.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •