Student or Learner
Would you be kind enough to give me an advice concerning the usage of the following sentences?
1. The incident did not go unnoticed by us.
2. The incident did not remain hidden to us.
3. The incident did not escape our notice.
4. The incident did not slip our attention.
5. The incident did not pass unnoticed.
Thank you for your efforts.
Last edited by vil; 12-Jul-2009 at 14:02.
All are grammatical; but:
#1, #3 and #5 are idiomatic; they have an air of mildly humorous understatement.
#2 and #4 both sound awkward; they might seem like translations.
All the best,
Not a professional ESL teacher.