• Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

need your attention

Dear teachers,
    Hi, kindly assist me on these:

1. Have you seen anyone who was having a scabies? Does it mean that we had seen someone somewhere within a certain time period in the past?
    2. Have you seen anyone who has scabies? Does it mean that we are still having a chance to see someone with scabies until a period of time?
    3. Have you seen anyone who had scabies? Does it mean that we had seen someone with scabies in the past?

Regards,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: need your attention

Quote Originally Posted by mektok View Post
    Dear teachers,

1. Have you seen anyone who was having a scabies? Does it mean that we had seen someone somewhere within a certain time period in the past?
    2. Have you seen anyone who has scabies? Does it mean that we are still having a chance to see someone with scabies until a period of time?
    3. Have you seen anyone who had scabies? Does it mean that we had seen someone with scabies in the past?

Regards,
    Hello

The first one is not correct grammar - for this the third example would be correct.
    We use both examples 2 and 3 and the person asking wants to know if the patient has scabies now (#2), and if he had it some time in the past (#3).

However, it's common for a person to ignore the grammar rule and he may use #2 when he should use #3.

In your question, you use we are still having a chance. This is a similar error to the error in example #1: 'have' in these meanings aren't used in continuous because it's used in the sense of possession.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Hi, Csheywood.
    Thank you for your comments. As for Q#1, I'm not really sure whether it is wrong or not. For your information, this question was used in one of the survey on scabies and was published in an article. It sounds really weird to me. Anyway, thanks for your explanation.

Regards

Because unlike fits which are usually occasional events, you have scabies [a chronic medical condition of the skin] , you cannot be having a scabies.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Hi Anglika,
    I like your name, it is very closed to an angle. Your answer is very much appreciated. Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Because unlike fits which are usually occasional events, you have scabies [a chronic medical condition of the skin] , you cannot be having a scabies.
    Scabies is not a cronic condition, but an infestation of the skin, or rather under the skin by a microscopic insect. My daughter had it when she was about 6 years old and has never had it again. Terrible stuff.

But surely it is chronic - it continues for a period of time. Just as cancer and tuberculosis are chronic diseases.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by mektok View Post
    Dear teachers,

Regards,
    No one has mentioned for 3:
    Have you seen anyone who has had scabies?
    To me, this is the most natural sentence of the lot. For example, if you're a doctor visiting a nursing home (or anything like this), the two important things you want to know from the head nurse (regarding scabies, that is) are:
    Is there anyone who has scabies? - because they need treatment
    Is there anyone who has had scabies? -
    because they may have spread it.
    With 'had' you need to nominate a time:
    Is there anyone who had scabies last month/last year? This would generally only be of historical interest.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    But surely it is chronic - it continues for a period of time. Just as cancer and tuberculosis are chronic diseases.
    It's only chronic if it's untreated. It's highly treatable. One or two applications of a miticide and, unless you pick it up again, you're cured. It's easy to treat in one person, but difficult to eradicate from a population - kind of like this swine flu, which is not a chronic illness either.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Thanks! But according to Microbiologist, there is a definition for those terms-chronic or acute..I don't want to elaborate further on this as it is too complicated and very subjective.

regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast