Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do the sentences below make sense? How can I make them sound natural? Which is better?

1. As the years go on, no matter how many goals we have achieved, we’ll meet a better self in the future.
  2. As the years go by, no matter how many dreams we have fulfilled, we’ll become a better self in the future.
  3. As time goes by, no matter how many dreams we have achieved, we’ll make ourselves a better person.

J

J&K Tutoring

Your sentences read as if you become a better person despite "goals achieved", "dreams fulfilled", or "dreams achieved".

To rephrase your #2 example, 'I will become a better self, even if I do fulfill my dreams.' I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please change only one part of a sentence if you want our opinion of which version is better.

contiluo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm confused, so I rephrase them as follows. Do they make sense?

1. As the years go by, no matter how many dreams we've fulfilled, we'll see a better self.
2. With the passage of time, no matter how many dreams we've fulfilled, we'll meet a better self.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm confused, so I rephrase them as follows. Do they make sense?

1. As the years go by, no matter how many dreams we've fulfilled, we'll see a better self.
2. With the passage of time, no matter how many dreams we've fulfilled, we'll meet a better self.

GoesStation asked you to change just one​ part of a sentence if you want us to choose. You have changed both the first part and the last part in sentence 2.

contiluo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
As the years go by, no matter how many dreams we have fulfilled, we’ll meet a better self in the future.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It still doesn't make sense to combine "no matter" with "better".

No matter how many dreams we fulfil, we'll still be disappointed.
If we fulfil all our dreams, we'll be better people in the future.

I don't understand what it is you think will make us better "selves".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ems is right about your logical error. What you are saying is "With time, we will all become better people." The "no matter" phrase can be dispensed with, logically, because you're saying it's irrelevant to the outcome anyway - unless you are making a specific point about the irrelevance of fulfilling dreams to becoming a better person.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Your sentences read as if you become a better person despite "goals achieved", "dreams fulfilled", or "dreams achieved".

To rephrase your #2 example, 'I will become a better self, even if I do fulfill my dreams.' I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean.

The idea that one becomes a better person by virtue of fulfilling one's dreams is illogical and absurd.

As several recent and many historical examples show, one's dreams can be pernicious and evil. I shall refrain from naming my examples to keep the discussion focussed on English rather than politics.

Last edited by a moderator: