Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I've some questions about the learning of english...
First question
How can I learn a lot of terms? I tried to read books, watching TV in english and learn at memory the words of vocabulary but I forget immediatly the new terms.
An other question is how I can understood the spoken english? Like I say before
I tried to watch the english Tv but I don't understand nothing.

I finished my questions... What you think of my english??... If you have some tips for me.. are welcome =)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've some questions about the learning of English.
My first question is: How can I learn a lot of terms? I tried to read books, watch[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] TV in English and [STRIKE]learn at memory[/STRIKE] memorise the [STRIKE]words of[/STRIKE] vocabulary but I [STRIKE]forget[/STRIKE] immediately forget the new terms.
[STRIKE]An other[/STRIKE] Another question is: How can I [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]understood[/STRIKE] understand [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] spoken English? Like I [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] said before, I tried to watch [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] English TV but I don't understand [STRIKE]nothing[/STRIKE] anything.

I have finished my questions. What do you think of my English?[STRIKE]?...[/STRIKE] If you have some tips for me, [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] I welcome them.

Welcome to the forum.

Are you learning English at formal classes or are you teaching yourself at home? It is quite difficult to learn a language without a teacher but it's not impossible.
What type of books have you tried to read in English? Start with easy books, maybe a book for children.
If you try to watch English TV or films, you need to know that you will not understand every word. Don't try to watch or listen too carefully. Make sure that you have an English radio station on at home all the time, so that you are surrounded by the language. Don't consciously listen to it. After a while (a few weeks perhaps) you will notice that you understand more words every day.

As far as vocabulary goes, try to learn a new word in a complete sentence. Don't just try to remember the word "umbrella", for example, and its Italian equivalent. Learn a sentence such as "When it rains, I must remember my umbrella".

Please see my amendments to your post above in red. Remember to capitalise the word "English" at all times. We only use one single punctuation mark at the end of a sentence.

Last edited:

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
***NOT A TEACHER***

Also, you need to know when to use the indefinite article (an). An easy question not [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] easy question.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
**** I am not a teacher ****

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to what emsr2d2 has advised (that you learn a sentence with the word in it, rather than just its equivalent in Italian (or just trying to memorize the meaning in English) ), you may find it helpful to use intelligent flashcards such as Anki or Mnemosyne which are (free) softwares. They are also called Spaced Repetition Systems (SRS) and you can read about it here. Good luck to you for learning a lot of new words.

Status
Not open for further replies.