A Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean_soul

Member Type
Student or Learner
I know I am repeating myself but you are great help for me since I'm studying English almost alone,I rarely have someone to help me :):):) Here I have again an excersise which bothers me.
1.I was given A.a very little time to decide B.whether ot not to accept the job,but I took it after consultation with members of C.the new board.
2.It seems that people A.have suffered a lot B.from the hardships of life when C.medical knowledge was in its early days.
3.A.Due to unusually low rainfall,B.water C.is in short supply in the region for months now.
4.A.An evidence from the 18th century suggests that landlords encouraged the sport of hurling B.with handsome prize money and team sponsorship as they knew that hurlers C.would make good soldiers.
5.The birthplace of the theatre is thought A.to be Ancient Greece,B.where performances of plays often C.had taken place in open-air theatres.
6.The 2 facts we all know about Sir Walter Raleigh-that he A.lay down his cloak so that Queen Elizabeth B.should not have to step in the mud and that he introduced C.tobacco into England-are flase.
7.For years now,people A.have been looking at the stars and B.ask 'Are we,on this little blue planet called C.Earth,the only living beings in the Galaxy?'
8.Tiny children could be A.safely left in the shallow end of a swimming bath because they would teach themselves to swim,exploring the water gradually,never venturing beyond the point B.at which they beging to C.feel unsafe.
9.The system,which takes advantage of advanced technology,A.works well and B.many aircrafts use it C.to navigate with greater accurancy.
10.With the A.world's population growing by B.86 millions people a year,half of the entire population C.will be living in cities within a decade.

I'm not sure whether there's a mistake in the 1st one.I have doubts for A.a very little.But since after all that person had decided then maybe there is no mistake.In the 2 one-maybe it's in A. since the people don't suffer anymore(I suppose the correction is 'suffered'.In the 3 one-in C.(maybe it should be 'has been').In 4-maybe in C because otherwise the sentence makes no sense for me but I'm not sure about the correction.In 5 I find no mistake.In 6-in C.(I think it's 'the tobacco').7-in B(I think 'have been asking' is right).In 8 I think there is no mistake.In 9-C-'to be navigated'.In the last one in B-'millions of'.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will indicate which sentences you should take a second look at.

1.I was given A.a very little time to decide B.whether ot not to accept the job,but I took it after consultation with members of C.the new board.:cross:
2.It seems that people A.have suffered a lot B.from the hardships of life when C.medical knowledge was in its early days.:cross:
3.A.Due to unusually low rainfall,B.water C.is in short supply in the region for months now.:cross:
4.A.An evidence from the 18th century suggests that landlords encouraged the sport of hurling B.with handsome prize money and team sponsorship as they knew that hurlers C.would make good soldiers.:cross:
5.The birthplace of the theatre is thought A.to be Ancient Greece,B.where performances of plays often C.had taken place in open-air theatres.:cross:
6.The 2 facts we all know about Sir Walter Raleigh-that he A.lay down his cloak so that Queen Elizabeth B.should not have to step in the mud and that he introduced C.tobacco into England-are flase.:cross:
7.For years now,people A.have been looking at the stars and B.ask 'Are we,on this little blue planet called C.Earth,the only living beings in the Galaxy?':cross:
8.Tiny children could be A.safely left in the shallow end of a swimming bath because they would teach themselves to swim,exploring the water gradually,never venturing beyond the point B.at which they began to C.feel unsafe.:tick:
9.The system,which takes advantage of advanced technology,A.works well and B.many aircrafts use it C.to navigate with greater accurancy.:cross:
10.With the A.world's population growing by B.86 millions people a year,half of the entire population C.will be living in cities within a decade.:cross:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Look closer at:

1.I was given A.a very little time to decide B.whether ot not to accept the job,but I took it after consultation with members of C.the new board. A
2.It seems that people A.have suffered a lot B.from the hardships of life when C.medical knowledge was in its early days. A
3.A.Due to unusually low rainfall,B.water C.is in short supply in the region for months now. C
4.A.An evidence from the 18th century suggests that landlords encouraged the sport of hurling B.with handsome prize money and team sponsorship as they knew that hurlers C.would make good soldiers. A
5.The birthplace of the theatre is thought A.to be Ancient Greece,B.where performances of plays often C.had taken place in open-air theatres. C
6.The 2 facts we all know about Sir Walter Raleigh-that he A.lay down his cloak so that Queen Elizabeth B.should not have to step in the mud and that he introduced C.tobacco into England-are flase. B
7.For years now,people A.have been looking at the stars and B.ask 'Are we,on this little blue planet called C.Earth,the only living beings in the Galaxy?' B
8.Tiny children could be A.safely left in the shallow end of a swimming bath because they would teach themselves to swim,exploring the water gradually,never venturing beyond the point B.at which they beging to C.feel unsafe.
9.The system,which takes advantage of advanced technology,A.works well and B.many aircrafts use it C.to navigate with greater accurancy. B
10.With the A.world's population growing by B.86 millions people a year,half of the entire population C.will be living in cities within a decade. B

ocean_soul

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks a lot,RonBee!Your help was really needed :-D I have some new sentences again.

1.A book A.on insects B.had been returned to the library in a samll English town after 30 years with a note C.saying:'Best wishes from a slow reader."
2.A.Although it is only within recent years that our knowledge of the significance of vitamins in food B.has been well established,it is nonetheless true that for many centuries the so-called deficiency diseases C.were related to certain types of food.
3.The only continent that A.is remaining untouched by cycling is Africa,which is B.a real shame because the Kenyans,who have already proved their endurance and stamnia as runners,C.would make exellent cyclists.
4.Untill the decade beginning 1911 it A.has been generally accepted that B.for all purposes of health,food should consist esentially C.of proteins,fats and carbohydrates.
I think in the 1. there is no mistake.In the 2 in C.In the 3 one-in A.In the 4-in A.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
.I was given A.a very little time to decide B.whether ot not to accept the job,but I took it after consultation with members of C.the new board.
I have very little time right now, but note that a very little time should be replaced by very little time.
:)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that people A.have suffered a lot B.from the hardships of life when C.medical knowledge was in its early days.
It seems that people suffered a lot from the hardships of life when medical knowledge was in its early days.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A.Due to unusually low rainfall,B.water C.is in short supply in the region for months now.
Due to unusually low rainfall, water has been in short supply in the region for months now.
You could have used is if you had omitted for months now.

~R

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1.A.An evidence from the 18th century suggests that landlords encouraged the sport of hurling B.with handsome prize money and team sponsorship as they knew that hurlers C.would make good soldiers.
Evidence from the 18th century suggests that landlords encouraged the sport of hurling with handsome prize money and team sponsorship as they knew that hurlers would make good soldiers.
5.The birthplace of the theatre is thought A.to be Ancient Greece,B.where performances of plays often C.had taken place in open-air theatres.
The birthplace of the theatre is thoughtto be Ancient Greece, where performances of plays often took place in open-air theatres.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
6.The 2 facts we all know about Sir Walter Raleigh-that he A.lay down his cloak so that Queen Elizabeth B.should not have to step in the mud and that he introduced C.tobacco into England-are flase.
The two "facts" we all know about Sir Walter Raleigh--that he lay down his cloak so that Queen Elizabeth would not have to step in the mud and that he introduced tobacco to England--are false.

7.For years now,people A.have been looking at the stars and B.ask 'Are we,on this little blue planet called C.Earth,the only living beings in the Galaxy?'
For years now, people have been looking at the stars and asking, "Are we, on this little blue planet called Earth, the only living beings in the galaxy?"

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
8.Tiny children could be A.safely left in the shallow end of a swimming bath because they would teach themselves to swim,exploring the water gradually,never venturing beyond the point B.at which they began to C.feel unsafe.
9.The system,which takes advantage of advanced technology,A.works well and B.many aircraft use it C.to navigate with greater accurancy.
10.With the A.world's population growing by B.86 million people a year,half of the entire population C.will be living in cities within a decade.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot,RonBee!Your help was really needed :-D I have some new sentences again.

1.A book A.on insects B.was returned to the library in a small English town after 30 years with a note C.saying:'Best wishes from a slow reader."
2.A.Although it is only within recent years that our knowledge of the significance of vitamins in food B.has been well established,it is nonetheless true that for many centuries the so-called deficiency diseases C.were related to certain types of food.:tick:
3.The only continent that A. remains untouched by cycling is Africa,which is B.a real shame because the Kenyans,who have already proved their endurance and stamnia as runners,C.would make excellent cyclists.
4.Untill the decade beginning in 1911 it A.had been generally accepted that B.for purposes of health,food should consist esentially C.of proteins,fats and carbohydrates.
I think in the 1. there is no mistake.In the 2 in C.In the 3 one-in A.In the 4-in A.
The use of the past perfect has not been justified in sentence one.

If you have any more questions, please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.