Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there, does A group of (something) take a singular or plural verb? I have been searching on the Internet and have found a lot of results but people are devided on this. Some say it should be singular and some say it could be both singular or plural. I want your opinions.

1- A group of footballers was/were injured when a bus hit them and it/they were admitted to hospital as quickly as possible.

And one more question I think if I uses "was" the pronoun should be "it" which doesn't sound good. Therefore I would prefer "were". And I think "was" is not wrong. Please explain in depth.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In general, Americans treat group words (including "group") as singular and British treat them as plural.

There are exception. (Of course!)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Should I use "it" or "they" [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] if I treat the group as singular?

See above. You didn't need quotation marks around singular. You omitted the question mark at the end.

Which would you use when referring to any singular noun - it or they​?

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above. You didn't need quotation marks around singular. You omitted the question mark at the end.

Which would you use when referring to any singular noun - it or they​?

I would use "it".

Can I ask u one question? Would you use "was" or "were" in the given sentence?

Last edited:

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1- A group of footballers was/were injured when a bus hit them and it/they were admitted to hospital as quickly as possible.

Would you use "was" or "were" in the given sentence?
Only the plural feels natural to this American English speaker. The injuries happened to the individuals, not to the group.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "it".
That is the correct choice.

Can I ask you one question? Would you use "was" or "were" in the given sentence?

I would probably use "was" in the original sentence although I find "a group of footballers" a little unnatural. I'd expect it to be a bit more specific. For example: Seven members of a football team were injured ...